1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I was looking at/modeling these yesterday. Looks like a fantastic bargain. Both look like winners

·
Registered
404 Posts
The 10" looks like nice w/ reasonably small boxes sealed or ported. I'll know how they sound in either alignments soon as I ordered one yesterday.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The 10" looks like it would work well in car, the 12" on the other hand, seems like it favors larger boxes more. Might work for some, but I'd go for the 10" if I was in the market for a low priced sub.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I use the ACI SV10 in my HT sub - see The Subwoofer DIY Page v1.1 - Projects : Retrofitting a subwoofer. Back then, I thought it a bargain at $99. At $56, I think it's an absolute STEAL, and it's likely not going to last long on Madisound's shelves. My suggestion would be to get FOUR, and use them in 3 cu.ft. sealed total, and drive them an amp capable of ~350W (or higher) x 2 into 2 ohms. That much linear displacement for a total of $224 is just obscene, and the power will be dissipated across four magnet structures.

If anyone's interested, I can pop my own out of the box and run some t/s tests on it.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I use the ACI SV10 in my HT sub - see The Subwoofer DIY Page v1.1 - Projects : Retrofitting a subwoofer. Back then, I thought it a bargain at $99. At $56, I think it's an absolute STEAL, and it's likely not going to last long on Madisound's shelves. My suggestion would be to get FOUR, and use them in 3 cu.ft. sealed total, and drive them an amp capable of ~350W (or higher) x 2 into 2 ohms. That much linear displacement for a total of $224 is just obscene, and the power will be dissipated across four magnet structures.

If anyone's interested, I can pop my own out of the box and run some t/s tests on it.
WOW, 4 of the 10s on my memphis belle sub channel would be awesome

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have been seriously considering Brian's suggestions of putting 4 of the 10" SV10 into my trunk. Its a lot of drivers. I have concluded that the easiest way to fit all 4, would be to split them up - 2 per side, facing each other, each side looking like the first photo of this thread:

securing a subwoofer - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

So here I have a few quick questions:

1. When the 2 sides are firing at each other, will I encounter wired cancellation issues? That is, is it a bad idea to have 2 sets of subs firing at each other?

2. If my 2 separate boxes are not exactly the same - i,e, slight size differences, they will obviously have slightly different response. Should not be much, but it will be different. Would that be a problem? Again, in terms of cancellation, interference etc.

3. Basically, generally speaking, is it advisable to split the 4 subs into 2 sets firing at each other?

If it is not a good idea, I'll have to just work with 2, on just one side. I hope thats going to be enough.

4. My amp will be a [email protected], [email protected], so if I run 2 I will wire them in series and get [email protected] for both of the SV10s, if I run 4 I will wire them to have [email protected] for 4 SV10s. Does that sound right? Or do I need more headroom?

5. My amp will allow me to have variable bassboost of 15dbs between 30-125Hz. Would 0.5cft per sub be ok? I can do 0.75cft per sub as suggested, but can I increase the Q (earlier steeper rolloff) using 0.5cft, and then compensate by boosting at, for example, 35-40Hz? It looks it would be ok on winisd, but I am worried in real life it may damage the subs etc? Should I stick with 0.7cft per sub?

If I have these concerns out of my head, then I'll definately get at least 2 of these subs, if not 4. I am very excited.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Looking for suggestions.

I have an Alpine Type E 12" that I am thinking of shoehorning into my truck. Basically behind the rear seat, I have about 3 cubic feet to glass in a box. I am debating between the following.

1. Buy another Alpine Type E 12" and go dual 12's

2. Buy a couple DIYMA 12's and go dual those.

3. Buy 2 or 4 of the ACI SV10's and install them. (Would fit a whole lot easier as I am not sure I can fit a 12 behind my seats.

4. A guy locally has a couple MTX Thunder 8000's (10 inch) I could get for a song (with a Kenwood KAC-7251 800W sub).

I'm not looking to compete in SPL contests by any stretch. I would never crank the system beyond a good listening level. I just want to feel the boom.

Should I snap up the ACI's? I see the 12" are already gone.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Those 10's for $56 are a steal! They're nice drivers for $100, let alone almost half that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Electrodynamic, you were the final straw. I just grabbed 2 10's myself.

Only 2 10's left. 12's are gone.

I am thinking of driving these with the Clarion DPX 1151. Might be too much amp for the 10's. Like driving a thumb tack with a sledge hammer. But can you really have too much amp?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Electrodynamic, you were the final straw. I just grabbed 2 10's myself.

Only 2 10's left. 12's are gone.

I am thinking of driving these with the Clarion DPX 1151. Might be too much amp for the 10's. Like driving a thumb tack with a sledge hammer. But can you really have too much amp?
I think you'll be pleased with the little guys. They look to be very solid little drivers. And I agree, you can never have too much power. :) It's better to have too much than not enough. :D

·
Registered
751 Posts
ALL GONE!... bummer :(

·
Registered
302 Posts
I got the last 2.......well....I ordered 4 like you suggested :(

So it will have to be 2 in a 1.5cft box for me. Hopefully that will be enough. I'll also have to run the amp at 8ohms!

I'd still like to know the answers to my questions above concerning 4 of them though, just to have more understanding for the matter.

So this is my second time round ending up with half of what I ordered. Last time I ordered 2 RSDC10 and ended up with only 1 working and then had to go ported. This time I order 4 and only get 2. Third time lucky maybe?

·
Registered
997 Posts
I got the last 2.......well....I ordered 4 like you suggested :(

So it will have to be 2 in a 1.5cft box for me. Hopefully that will be enough. I'll also have to run the amp at 8ohms!
You could wire them in parallel for a combined load of 2 ohms, if your amplifier will support that. The output should be similar to that of a good 12" driver. For $112.

I'd still like to know the answers to my questions above concerning 4 of them though, just to have more understanding for the matter.
I don't see any reason why what you were proposing would not have worked well.

·
Registered
302 Posts
You could wire them in parallel for a combined load of 2 ohms, if your amplifier will support that. The output should be similar to that of a good 12" driver. For $112.

My amp is rated if I wire them at 2ohms I'll have 1550W on tap. Isn't that too much for 2 drivers with 250W power handling each? But on the contrary if I wire at 8ohms, I will have 425W which is just a little short but the amps will run even cooler. So you would recommend a 2ohm load then? In that case I'll have to be VERY careful with the gains :)

I don't see any reason why what you were proposing would not have worked well.
I was simply worried about any cancellation issues I might not be aware of and the differences in response between the 2 boxes. That is all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts