DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
This is the car version. It has been released for quite some time now. The other ones would have breathing problem in my trunk I think. I've completely sealed off the trunk this time, no breather flaps, even the taillight fixtures are buried heavily under dynamat.

I'm not surprised you would find these attractive Chad, you've spent some time with PA gear. I didn't think the Idmax is a good looking piece either, but that didn't stop me from using them. It's quite alright if it serves its purpose, and even more so if it's a functional design.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I think they are about 8 inches or so deep, I'll check soon.

I'm not sure how they sound with 500w/ I can tell you they rock at 200w/. Ultimately I think all that matters is how many liters they displace at xmax and at what THD. You'll have a hard time finding a better driver. Efficiency is a nice bonus so that you headlights don't dim at idle, or worse, while driving.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I've had my share of non musical subs, either they had too much motor noise or sounded just plain annoying. I could tell you the difference between my Idmax subs and these and they test the same FR wise.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks for a great review. I have a pair of these that will be getting installed in my 87 Grand National this winter, to be powered by a Phoenix Gold MS-2125. Should be around 360W+ per sub. From what John over at AE has stated, combined with what you're saying in your review here, that should be plenty of power, eh?

After reading your review, I am really getting excited to get this install rolling. Just gotta get the transmission taken care of, then I can get to work on the audio phase of the project.

Here is my overall system plan, in case you have any thoughts/input.... (you seem to be one of the ones who know their shit)

PG MS-275 (50W x 2 @ 8 ohms) -> 2 x ID HLCD (109db) (Way more power than I need, but this is the smallest amp of that series, effectively. Looking at either the CD2 or Ultra w/ full-body horns)
PG MS-2125 (255W x 2 @ 2 ohms) -> 4 x ID OEM 6.5 (91db)
PG MS-2125 (720W @ 2 ohms bridged) -> 2 x AE IB15 auto version (91db)

I really wanted to make sure I had solid mid-bass to match up to the IB15s in order to provide a solid transition to the horns. As a result, I keep finding myself worried about not having enough output in the sub-bass range. The more I hear about the IB15s though, the more I think the 720W should be plenty enough output to provide desirable overall freq. response at the highest output levels I would actually want to listen to.

I suspect that I should spend a good bit of time vibration damping my trunk. A Grand National is no small car, so I imagine sealing the trunk up as well shouldn't pose any issues due to limiting available airspace?

I agree with some of the others on this thread too - I think these are very handsome drivers. Nothing fancy, but nothing ugly about them either. They look like elegantly designed, very functional subs. Well, I have to admit, the magnet is a little ugly, but nothing a little polishing can't overcome. Of course, I have been away from car audio for a long time. The huge and/or exotically styled drivers so often seen these days were far from common in the early 90s.

Thanks again for the review,
Brad

·
18,360 Posts
Thanks for doing this.

Currently, I'm trying to decide between a pair of these and a pair of the Fi 15" IB sub (IB3). I've got 2 IDmax12's that I plan to replace these with so your comparison is perfect for me; gives me a great idea of what to expect output wise.

Any further thoughts on your setup now that you've had it for a couple weeks?

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks for doing this.

Currently, I'm trying to decide between a pair of these and a pair of the Fi 15" IB sub (IB3). I've got 2 IDmax12's that I plan to replace these with so your comparison is perfect for me; gives me a great idea of what to expect output wise.

Any further thoughts on your setup now that you've had it for a couple weeks?
I've had them since the summer, since then I put at least 10k miles on the odo = lots of listening time. I would try the CSS 15 or the AE (IB or AV) drivers. The IB15s are reference drivers to me they don't color on virtually all material I've run through them and have lots of linear output to bring a smile on my face.

The only downside to my setup as I see it is that it sounds ideal with the trunk empty but the more cargo space is occupied the higher the Q and therefore loses a bit of low end. I might try the AV series in the future to get a compromise, a bit low heavy when empty which is fine with me. Most people have a larger trunk then mine or at least fewer amps, maybe use one sub, or still have the trunk vented to the outside so this downside might not be there.

·
18,360 Posts
Thanks.

I've been talking with John via email and I"m going to go ahead and order a set of these. My trunk is pretty roomy, and I still have the trunk flaps open, so hopefully I'll be alright. I rarely put anything back there, and when I do, I'm not worried about losing any sound quality because people are with me and we're talking. ;)

Thanks again for the review, though. I'm sure coming from a dual 12" setup I'll be more than happy with these.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but i didnt feel like starting a new thread. So my question is has anyone tried the 10" or 12" versions of it and what are your impressions about them? i dont feel like i can fit a 15" sub back there.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
They've been working on smaller versions? Didn't know...must check it out. My buddy has been waiting for an IB18 for about...3 years now.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

·
11,394 Posts
Keep on they will be doing 15s, and 10s for the price of 18s...lol. They did just release the TD18H, so it might not be a far stretch to see an IB18.

21 - 40 of 110 Posts