DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Fi has an IB 18.
Imo you don't actually want a true IB sub. The AE is optimized for a car trunk. Real IB subs can require several times that volume especially in 15 and larger sizes. Besides the AE has lots of motor goodies.

I wouldn't put it past AE to do that. If you check out their forums they make custom speakers when asked. Unfortunately, they never returned my email :mean:

That's why I didn't purchase them.
They weren't like this before. They might be sorting things out right now. It seems like there is a dedicated forum respondent too.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I spoke with Beth at AE last week. The car IB 15" is $149 plus shipping. $100 per sub if you purchase 4 subs. Shipping from WI to most areas of the lower 48 states will run between $12-$18 if purchasing 1 sub. The wait period for building-avg 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I may be sticking my foot in my mouth here, and I understand why it is an IDMax comparison, since that is what you were using before, but it seems a little unfair.

You are comparing a 100 dollar sub to a 499 dollar sub, and were using HALF the power one ID Max needs? I would think that explains your slopes.

Not saying the AE sub is a bad sub, but I dont think it trumps ID. I think you should have doubled the power on the ID subs you had previously, but of course, that would have been much more than 200 dollars.

Just sayin.

·
11,394 Posts
He was IB with the Maxes...and it doesn't take a ton of power to get the Maxes to reach full excursion IB. 300 watts to a Max IB and she will pretty much max out excursion.

On paper there are things about the AE sub that would make it more attractive for IB usage.

Then there is the weight savings.

Andy, go by Joey's and get him to show you the sub I brought up there today. Very impressive build for the price point.

·
Registered
277 Posts
He was IB with the Maxes...and it doesn't take a ton of power to get the Maxes to reach full excursion IB. 300 watts to a Max IB and she will pretty much max out excursion.

On paper there are things about the AE sub that would make it more attractive for IB usage.

Then there is the weight savings.

Andy, go by Joey's and get him to show you the sub I brought up there today. Very impressive build for the price point.
Not knocking it bro, but you know Im an ID fan boy. And I never did IB with them and I didnt take the power into account for that, so I stuck my foot in my mouth. lol

·
11,394 Posts
I love them too...I would make the Accord shake with the 3 maxes IB. Mo powerz is good though...I always had a little on tap for them.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Very true. I'm pretty sure even in a sealed alignment on the right frequency you would reach full linear output with 500w. You'd be surprised just how little power we use on a regular basis, I would say no more than 50w to my AE drivers on average.

I don't think in this case the price reflects anything, it's quite the opposite, the AE is a better build driver. I enjoyed my IdMax subs but in all honesty going back would be a bit of downgrade in just about every aspect (technology, fidelity, sensitivity, light weight, extended response on both ends, maybe output is on par, I can't really tell without another DB test but I'm not risking it - I broke my baffle with the Maxes at 135db at 20hz)

·
Registered
783 Posts
I spoke with Beth at AE last week. The car IB 15" is $149 plus shipping. $100 per sub if you purchase 4 subs. Shipping from WI to most areas of the lower 48 states will run between $12-$18 if purchasing 1 sub. The wait period for building-avg 2-3 weeks.
I talked with John and he said:

"the issue right now is that the new frames we got are not the same 12 spoke frames as the old ones. I can't do IB15's with them"

I asked him what the ETA on when they will be ready and he said:

"not sure yet... frames usually take 3mos, well 2mos min, 30days to make, 30 days on the water"

He said he might air ship some more in but he wasnt positive about that, so judging by what I heard from John directly, it can take 5 months before you see your subs if you ordered today....

If it wasnt for such the long wait I would have certainly gone with AE IB15's

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I talked with John and he said:

"the issue right now is that the new frames we got are not the same 12 spoke frames as the old ones. I can't do IB15's with them"

I asked him what the ETA on when they will be ready and he said:

"not sure yet... frames usually take 3mos, well 2mos min, 30days to make, 30 days on the water"

He said he might air ship some more in but he wasnt positive about that, so judging by what I heard from John directly, it can take 5 months before you see your subs if you ordered today....

If it wasnt for such the long wait I would have certainly gone with AE IB15's
The AV15 geared for large box would be really nice to if you want to use two. They would model very well in a car trunk. The only reason I'm not doing that right now is to save weight and because I really don't need the extra output.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
That's why I had a 1/4" steel baffle welded to my car when I had the 3 Maxes...whole lotta moving going on.
I had a double 3/4 MDF baffle but I got lazy and didn't use metal L-pads with screws in the chassis for the top, just expanding foam. It ripped immediately and then the baffle flexed to death.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I had a double 3/4 MDF baffle but I got lazy and didn't use metal L-pads with screws in the chassis for the top, just expanding foam. It ripped immediately and then the baffle flexed to death.
:eek::eek::eek: holy jit....thanks for the heads up!!! i am putting in 3 x ib12's as we speak.

·
Registered
783 Posts
The AV15 geared for large box would be really nice to if you want to use two. They would model very well in a car trunk. The only reason I'm not doing that right now is to save weight and because I really don't need the extra output.
Now ya tell me, after I just ordered a single Fi IB318.... lol

That's why I had a 1/4" steel baffle welded to my car when I had the 3 Maxes...whole lotta moving going on.
Thats a nice idea, wish I had access to a welder and knew how to use it. But even when I had my 2 IDMAX's with double 3/4" MDF baffle I never had any trouble with it vibrating and flexing, at least that I could tell.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
i wish....i have been to busy globe trotting for work....i am definatly getting too old for this kinda work. but i have 2 full weeks of free time comming up mid july. keep an eye out for my build thread.this is pretty much ,where i left off weeks ago, before being sent off to south east asia.

·
Registered
322 Posts
wondering the same question, its not like a care coz i have my ib12 already installed, i just need to power it up, and i may finally do that tomorrow, yay

41 - 60 of 110 Posts