DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
cvjoint-
Excellent review. Thanks for posting this.
Looks like I know which sub I'll be using in my setup :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Imo you don't actually want a true IB sub. The AE is optimized for a car trunk. Real IB subs can require several times that volume especially in 15 and larger sizes. Besides the AE has lots of motor goodies.
Are you saying that with the AE, I can break the 3x Vas rule? I have a vw cabrio with a 7.6 cubic ft. trunk...that is beggin for this sub if that is the case. Do you think that it would work?

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
^ Model your trunk as a sealed enclosure. None of us can get true IB in a car and these subs are not true IB subs, they are basically large sealed drivers.

You trunk is good for one IB15, or two AV15, or 4 IB12. Also keep track of what you put in your trunk, it will increase your Q! Just noticed you have a softop too. Check our my newest thread on the S2000. See if you have a rear deck like mine, it's pure sex for IB use!

I'm on the verge of going for 3 IB12s in my S2000. These things are unbeatable.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Everytime I go back & reread this thread I come so close to pulling the trigger on a couple of these. I know I shouldn't be, but I'm afraid I'll be disappointed with the output.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Model what you are using now, then model the new ones. If you know what your actual output is, you can get a delta between the modeled response and the actual to give you an even better idea. Worst case scenario, watch the classifieds for a set to come up used and give em a try, if you don't like them you will most likely only be out shipping costs.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
The AE IB is unbeatable/$/watt/lb. If you need more output look at the AV series. Once you factor in sensitivity it should be comparable to any sub on the market.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Would 2 15's equal the in car output of a single 15 in a ported enclosure?

Bare in mind, I am running my TC with a 1500 watt [email protected] ohm and I can get low 140's in output.

Curious because would love to have some usable trunk, less weight. Wife likes the current output.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
(A mini-review...I started typing before cubdenno replied :laugh:)

As the owner of one of George's (former) subs, I will say that anyone concerned with output shouldn't be...unless you want to hit 150dB. Or trying to seek the rainbow unicorn that is "SQL" :rolleyes:

I've simply never heard a sub that was better...it's better in every way, in fact, than any sub I've used. It has so much of everything; goes deep, "hits" pretty hard, and can hit double bass kicks. People think big subs are for "booming" or "getting loud" but that's simply not the case.

This sub, in my opinion, is as if you have you have one of each 8" through 15" subs playing the frequency they do best. There is nothing it can't play...there is no slop...there is no lag in transients...there is no one-note loudness...

I don't believe I could sway someone away from an AE sub, aside from availability issues...if they needed a sub tomorrow. I also don't believe there are better IB subs out there for the money. With the sub and my two heavy amps, I'd venture to say I've added about 65lbs to my trunk, and the weight is right between the strut towers and above the gas tank. The baffle and sub weigh 35lbs together. Quite amazing.

John at AE says that with cabin gain, a single 15 can hit 142dB @ 20Hz. Just so happens I also have 300w on tap :laugh: I'd like to fit another, but it's not happening at this time.

·
18,360 Posts
yep. it's like this:
If I remove my subs and put a 4ohm dummy load on my sub amp, play a 0dB tone and measure the output (having not touched the gain from where it was on the amp/dsp) at about the same volume I typically listen to my music at I get about 90w @ 4ohm.

I think everyone who has heard my car has always had something great to say about the subs. My car's geometry has caused me headaches but it's not the subs' fault.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Very interesting.....

In car With the port firing forward I get a nice flat 30-70 hertz passband with about 2-4db deviation. The problem is that the enclosure is a single reflex bandpass and is holy fekk huge. I meter at the windshield sealed at like 143.4, with the box turned around port firing to the rear, I gain 1.5 db. (I bought the design from Pete Kulicki. Everything he has stated about in car response has been spot on. Including firing orientation output.)

I enjoy my system played loudly, It gets every type of music played through it. Just at high volumes. No competing just enjoying. Now though, there are times that I would love to be able to use the trunk. Wife approves of the rolling concert hall and does not want to sacrifice output. Plus, with the teenager son rapidly approaching a louder vehicle than mine, I have to stay at least competitive.I will have to seriously ponder this. My only hold back is that with the current economy, it is more difficult to sell off items if I don't like them.

·
Registered
568 Posts
With the limited availability of the IB15, they are rare to last in the second hand market unless you are trying to get full retail for them.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
With the limited availability of the IB15, they are rare to last in the second hand market unless you are trying to get full retail for them.
Also good to know...

Thanks for the info!! All of you!

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Would 2 15's equal the in car output of a single 15 in a ported enclosure?
I would say only below your tunning frequency (30hz you say?) or above 70hz or so where thermal becomes more important.

Plus, with the teenager son rapidly approaching a louder vehicle than mine, I have to stay at least competitive.I will have to seriously ponder this.
Just test at a different frequency. If he runs ported test below his tunning frequecy. If he runs sealed test at 100hz. You see where this is going. With any competition if you want to have the best chance winning you want to have the winning design. It's not likely that's the lowest weight, or the best sounding. IB is a best all around solution for the car environment unless you have a minvan or hatchback. However, unless you are going for thermal tests at high frequencies it's not going to win you any trophies.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks Big Time!! This forum is Freakin Awesome!!

61 - 80 of 110 Posts