DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AE Speakers Lambda TD Series Group Buy

I am in the process of coordinating a group buy for Lambda TD series woofers including all sizes and models including the dipole models. The numbers tentatively look like ~25% off list prices up to 99 drivers. At 100 drivers, the discount should be closer to 30%.

Any interest?
Still awaiting some details from John. But the basics are that 50% will be due upfront. AE will order the materials which will take approximately 2 months for delivery. At that point, he will start assembly and deliver based on the order of entries on the official group buy thread that will likely be hosted on his website. Depending on the numbers, I'd expect 2-3.5 months for delivery depending on your position on the list.
No AV nor IB/SPB sub but the TD line may gather some interest for caraudio/home audio setup.

GB thread on dyaudio

TD line parameters on AE website

·
Registered
185 Posts
Re: AE Speakers Lambda TD Series Group Buy

These aren't suitable for car IB (straight from John) and good luck on getting anything from AE...

·
18,604 Posts
Info here:
Acoustic Elegance • View topic - ** Official TD Woofer Group Buy Information **

Looks like John at AE is trying to get some collaboration going on orders for TD woofer drivers. Knowing the mfg, I think this could be quite a deal if enough people get on board.

AE Speakers Online Store

stryke said:
As some of you already know, I was approached by Dave Newman about the possibility of a group buy for the TD woofers. There has been quite a bit of interest and buzz on various forums about the possibility of this happening. I am now happy to announce the official details on this group buy. I am currently in the process of ordering raw steel parts and frames from China. Offering this group buy now is ideal as it allows me to add some quantity to the current order and pass on that discount to those getting in on the group buy. Currently parts are scheduled to be leaving China at the end of October. That would put parts here at the end of November. At that same time, I will be bringing in someone as a partner to help with the work load. This will allow us to fill the group buy orders in a timely manner and from that point on be able to keep future lead times down. Once the steel arrives we will do the final machining processes to our tight tolerances and apply the copper sleeves that are critical to every TD woofer. Drivers will be assembled and shipped as soon as the first parts return from the plating facility.

Any of the TD woofers will be included in this group buy. This includes the TD6's, TD10's, TD12's, TD15's and TD18's. Due to the parts supply and what is being ordered, Dipole woofers of any size cannot be included in this group buy. The discount percentage will be 25% off the single piece retail if less than 50 drivers are ordered, or 30% if 50 or more drivers are ordered. This is a significant discount which reflects the highest level OEM quantity pricing. I am only able to offer this kind of discount to DIY customers in return for both the quantity, and the wait time of parts coming from China. I think it is a good situation that benefits both myself and all those who will be able to take advantage of this pricing.

Here is how the pricing would look:
Item Retail 25%disc 30%disc
TD6 $189 $142 $132
TD10 $269 $202 $189
TD12 $289 $217 $203
TD15 $309 $232 $217
TD18 $449 $337 $315

To secure your order at the discounted prices, we will need an email confirming the model and quantity of your order by 12:00pm (Noon) Central time on October 17. Email for this group buy can be sent to TDgroupbuy @ aespeakers.com. At the closing of the group buy we will send Paypal invoices for a 50% down payment with the appropriate discount applied, based on total quantity ordered. We need to receive these payments by Midnight CST Saturday Oct. 22nd. The final 50% balance plus shipping will be due prior to shipment.

In addition to the group buy, some new exciting options are becoming available to use the TD woofers. Mark Seaton will be posting shortly with some information on a 2way kit he has developed using the TD15M. This is a great opportunity to pick up the required TD15M's at a discount. In addition I will have some other plans that I will be posting up over the next few weeks using TD woofers as well.

If you have further questions on the group buy, you can feel free to post them here.

Best Regards,
John

Erin

·
Registered
133 Posts

Hi Volkom, thanks for posting that up. Here is a link to the full details on the group buy. bikinpunk also posted up a thread as well. Just figured I'd reply in here also.

Acoustic Elegance • View topic - ** Official TD Woofer Group Buy Information **

I've been using TD woofers in vehicles for about 10 years now. While the TD woofers aren't the ideal solution for an IB, they do work extremely well for traditional boxed options in either vented or sealed cabinets. Take a look at the TD woofers in comparison to drivers like Scan Speak, Dynaudio, etc. You'll find more efficiency, more Xmax, and much lower distortion. It's a reason there are some extremely high end companies using our drivers for home/hifi applications. If you're curious as to who is using the drivers, Here's a partial list of some of the more well known ones.

Evolution Acoustics MMThree
The Granada Loudspeaker
SoundScape Series
The Catalyst - Product details & overview - Seaton Sound Discussion Forum
AudioKinesis - sound that moves you
SoulSonic Speakers
Exigy Studio Loudspeakers
Mains

2wheelie, being a small company, often times just myself here, there have been things I could not deliver due to parts availability from my suppliers. That is why I don't take money in on those items and concentrate on drivers that are deliverable like the TD woofers. Many wanted to purchase AV woofers but they have been a nightmare. They won't be up on the website and I won't take money on them for some time yet. I've already switched to the 3rd cone vendor after the first one could no longer deliver parts and the second took thousands of dollars from me without delivered anything. The surrounds had similar setbacks. After two vendors took money and never delivered parts I spent 9 months and about $10,000 designing and building a thermoformer here so I cold make the surrounds reliably. Aluminum cones couldn't be finished properly by the new vendor so I sand them by hand on the lathe. I am working on an anodizing line to nicely finish them here. That leaves me with the spider issue that I'm in the process of resolving. The previous spider vendor delivered about 1500 defective spiders, went out of business, was taken over by a company in Mexico briefly and was then bought by the company that still owes me about $20,000 for non-delivery of cones. Needless to say, I'm not ordering from them again. I'm working with a new reliable vendor on spiders but we are still working out details on the material stiffness and lead wires. Again, as a result my time is currently better spent on items like the TD woofers that I can deliver.

I have also been backlogged at times due to high demand. Every woofer is hand built here. There are no off the shelf units and no mass quantity production from China. I machine all steel, assemble motors, magnetize, build many of the other components, assemble, hand treat and seal cones and surrounds, test and package every driver, etc. If I get in a large amount of orders at once it isn't out of the ordinary for me to spend an entire month or more just machining steel if I am making T-yokes and top plates from US steel. Obviously this pushes lead times out much farther than I would like. The group buy and sourcing the raw forged top plates and T-yokes from china greatly helps with this. I simply do the final machining to tolerances which can take 5-10min per woofer compared to over an hour per woofer to create T-yokes and top plates from scratch.

I am also very particular about how things are made. Nothing is thrown together. The standards and tolerances I keep to are far higher than any in the industry. I match VC's between pairs or sets of drivers to within .1ohm instead of the standard industry tolerances of 10% which can vary vastly. I have ability to build and ship about 100 woofers per week when all parts are available. The woofers that I have been delivering regularly for over 6 years now are the TD woofers. I have all parts in stock with the exception of the steel parts. There is a lot of interest out there and as a result I was approached about the group buy. With Tom coming in to work here starting in November and the current parts order of steel, it's an ideal time to offer the group buy. It lets me get extra parts and gets people a good discount in return. This should also help to keep the TD's all deliverable with much shorter lead times in the future.

John

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi bikinpunk, thanks for posting that up. I posted in that other thread but figured I'd give basic info up on here also.

I've been using TD woofers in vehicles for about 10 years now. While the TD woofers aren't the ideal solution for an IB, they do work extremely well for traditional boxed options in either vented or sealed cabinets. Take a look at the TD woofers in comparison to drivers like Scan Speak, Dynaudio, etc. You'll find more efficiency, more Xmax, and much lower distortion. It's a reason there are some extremely high end companies using our drivers for home/hifi applications. If you're curious as to who is using the drivers, Here's a partial list of some of the more well known ones.

Evolution Acoustics MMThree
The Granada Loudspeaker
SoundScape Series
The Catalyst - Product details & overview - Seaton Sound Discussion Forum
AudioKinesis - sound that moves you
SoulSonic Speakers
Exigy Studio Loudspeakers
Mains

I think you will find that there are few, if any, options for drivers to be used in vehicles that are used in these kind of high end hifi systems. Of most note is some of the recording studios where they are used for critical monitoring applications.

John

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I've been researching the TD line for the past hour but there are a lot of sites I can't see from work. I need an honest opinion though. I have the Dynaudio MW162 in the doors right now and I'm very happy with them, no need to upgrade. However, being that car audio is a sickness I feel the need to buy new stuff anyway. I know the TDs are more efficient, more xmax, less distortion, all of that stuff. Can anyone guess how they would sound compared to the Dyns that have heard both? One of the traits I love so much about the Dyns is their ability to get loud and sound great doing it.

I wouldn't mind getting a pair of 6s or 10s to put away for future use. At this kind of discount I might get both. The idea of the IB15s and TD-6s is pretty appealing. What kind of low end could you expect in a small enclosure in a door? With the IB15s I don't need a super low high pass, just wondering.

Getting ready to purchase the Dyn e430 mid so the TDs would only have to play up to 300-400hz. Would this be a waste of a TD speaker only playing 100-400hz?

Anything smaller than a 6"? I assume the "auto" version would be 4ohm?

Will AE ever make a tweeter?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Wow. I'm surprised to see John here. I've wanted to use a TD10 in some new home speakers but haven't been able to afford them. John, you are also recommending them for car subwoofer duty? I do see that they have pretty good power and excursion ratings. Or are you asking us to think of more creative ways to use them in a car, not as a subwoofer, but as a woofer and midrange ("midwoofer" I suppose)?

·
Premium Member
11,394 Posts
Any chance of getting DVC options on the TD drivers? If someone wanted to use it in the car, they could do a little RDO operation to raise the Q up.

·
Registered
133 Posts
There are DVC options for a few of the TD woofers. The TDH have both dual 2 and dual 4ohm options. These are the highest motor strength options with the most mass. As a result they are able to play the lowest out of any of the options.

As you mention the TD15S could work well in an IB install. The SBP15 that we recommend for car IB installation is actually derived from the TD15S. They use the same cone, surround, VC, spider, etc. The difference is between the phase plug vs dustcap and the additional mass of the SBP15. The SBP15 has 30 grams more mass on the cone. This essentially pulls down the upper end response by about 4dB. In reality though if you have a system with EQ you can do the same thing. The upper end of the TD15S can be EQ'd back down and the end result is the same response with even lower distortion. The TD woofers also have the added benefit of the better heat transfer with the phase plug.

The following shows the SBP15 in green, TD15S in red and the TD15S with the approximated -4dB shelf filter. This can be done easily with a MiniDSP or any other processor using a single filter.

John

·
Registered
307 Posts

I ordered 4 sbp15's 3 months ago. yes john went a little long on the quoted delivery date. i have no doubt that it was through no fault of his. app 8 weeks after ordering, i recieved my woofers. they are beautiful!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
The SBP drivers are not included in the group buy. I have to limit to drivers that use the steel parts from the TD series as that is what I'm ordering at this time.

The AV woofers will be made as soon as I can get all parts straightened out. It really has been a nightmare to this point. I've paid for nearly $50,000 in parts that I never got or that were completely useless when they came in. I scrapped out another $20,000 in woofers over the past few years that were built with these defective parts. I'm on the third cone vendor, searching for the third spider vendor, built a thermoformer to make my own surrounds, working on the anodizing line to anodize my own cones, etc. I may write a book about my experiences when it is all said and done. ;)

John

1 - 20 of 22 Posts