DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a few subs over the years, firing up, firing towards rear of car, firing toward each other, even a few home down firing, but never down in a car. Well, I have one now and I'm wondering if there are specific advantages/drawbacks to that setup.

Sub fires into trunk floor from approximately 4" above. Box designed that way. Could have fired up, nothing would have prevented that. Thoughts?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Had a downfiring sub in a regular cab Silverado. One day while I was changing subs, I decieded to listen to my front stage without the sub on and immediately noticed that my stage went up about 8 inches. Now I like a high stage, so I'am currently installing 8 inch speakers in my doors and moved my midrange up to the a-pillars with the tweets. Ofcourse a downfiring sub may work well in other vehicles. Hillbilly SQ had good success with a downfiring sub.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, I installed it recently, but the rest of the stereo is stock (not for long). It sounds decent, a little boomy currently. Wondered if the orientation made that happen.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Interesting, I installed it recently, but the rest of the stereo is stock (not for long). It sounds decent, a little boomy currently. Wondered if the orientation made that happen.
I don't think we can really compare our situations. You have your sub in your trunk and mine was in my cab with me.(a regular cab)

I have a friend of mine with a 2 way comp set in a Civic. Until he told me that he had a sub, I didn't know it. It blended that well. If your trunk is well deadened, It may not make a difference. Anyway good luck with your system.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, trunk is pretty deadened, few layers covering the back, bottom and lid. It's a 10W1V2 at the moment, but I have an XT10 coming in Monday.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
It lowers the FS of the system, but it's all trial and error as to how much breathing room to give the drivers. We were always told minimum of 3" for 10" drivers, and add an inch for every size up. It always worked well, but I can't see it being any different than a simple loading panel.

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
That's what I remember reading about it, that it was the same a loading board you'd use in a convertible for instance, so you'd actually have some output with the top down.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
What if you hung the box underneath the rear deck? It would still be downfiring but you might have a solid foot of space.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts