DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Slowpoke
2,780 Posts
I found thick acrylic a difficult material to work with. I'm sure there are tools and procedures that make it better, but even with the help of a buddy's woodshop, it was a challenge. Plus it scratches easily. It was a fun experiment, but no thanks.

· Registered
1,095 Posts
There is a couple of types of acrylic (cast and extruded) with their own properties, but for this use either one will do the job exactly the same. You can also use polycarbonate (Lexan), but this scrathes waay more easily than acrylic. You can get scratches in lexan just by wiping it with a dry paper towel.

Thickness depends of size of the acrylic piece. Doesn't hurt to use the same thickness as you would use in wood for the same panel (well, maybe ut would hurt your wallet).

I have cut 20mm acrylic pretty easily with my plunge/track saw, but even easier is to get help from someone with a cnc. Most vendors can probably make you cut to order pieces as well.

This had 20mm thick acrylic as a window in the back wall, sandwiched between two layers of 22mm mdf:

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a couple of types of acrylic (cast and extruded) with their own properties, but for this use either one will do the job exactly the same. You can also use polycarbonate (Lexan), but this scrathes waay more easily than acrylic. You can get scratches in lexan just by wiping it with a dry paper towel.

Thickness depends of size of the acrylic piece. Doesn't hurt to use the same thickness as you would use in wood for the same panel (well, maybe ut would hurt your wallet).

I have cut 20mm acrylic pretty easily with my plunge/track saw, but even easier is to get help from someone with a cnc. Most vendors can probably make you cut to order pieces as well.

This had 20mm thick acrylic as a window in the back wall, sandwiched between two layers of 22mm mdf:

That is an SWEEEEET box. Very nice job.

· Registered
4,515 Posts
I much prefer to use laminated glass (ballistic very often) and bond it into a box, no scratches and won’t flex

There was once a van from Belgium with a full glass subwoofer enclosure that held the super street world record for a good few yrs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.