DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a set of Hertz HSK 165's and really dig the sound over my eD comps which they replaced. After talking with the shop on where we go next amps came up as the next replacement, and going active.

The shop is big on Zapco and suggested the DC360.4. On the cheap that thing is $600+. So after minimal searching it appears the Alpine 9887 can handle the active chore for around $350-400.

I have Alpine amps currently (MRP-F250, bridge @ 2x100 and MPR-M500) and a 9883 HU.

So, in layperson terms should I go the DC360 direction or upgrade the HU and keep the amps I have. Is it worth saving the 2 bills? Pro's and Con's of either option? Am even in the ballpark of knowing what the hell I'm talking about or landing in the same neighborhood with either?

Thanks.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,007 Posts
Why not get the HU and another Alpine amp to go active? You really won't need more than 50 watts RMS per channel for your tweeters, but if you feel the need to give them more power, knock yourself out.

Another option would be to purchase the Alpine 9887 and go with the MRP-F600. That alone will run the cost of your ZAPCO amp and give you 100 x 4 RMS. You could always try to sell your MRP-F250 to lessen the financial sting.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will sell what I don't use for sure. I guess I'll need to upgrade amps either way as the f250 is only 40w x 4?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts