DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the pioneer ts-z65ch components and plan on ditching the crossovers and going fully active. i'm curious, when i ditch those crossovers will it make those mids and tweeters more efficient? i don't see individual specs on the speakers just the total component set. their rated at 85db @ 4ohm.

to those interested in the sound of these speakers:

soo far, i'm not impressed with the tweeters. their somewhat teeny and bright. the fact that i have them in the factory dash location aiming at the windshield might be playing a huge role in that. i plan on moving the tweeters over to the window sill off axis. the mid bass is definitely there hopefully this JL audio twk will help blend everything after i get it installed.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well when you go active, you can turn the tweeters down a little bit. In general, yes, active is a little more efficient, but that's not the main feature.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
No, the speaker efficiency does not change when going active. However, passive xovers do consume a small amount of power but not enough to be noticeable.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Silk or fabric tweeter might be more your speed. Active allows you so much flexibility in the integration of your drivers but it won't fix teeny and bright.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You can certainly tune out the brightness of the tweeters by going active. I'm always a fan of active filtering over passive. I believe the amps have to work less since they are only amplifying a specified band of frequencies instead of a wide band with passive crossovers. However I'm no professional, so I could be wrong. But ever since I first tried active crossover filtering many years ago, I've been thoroughly pleased with the results and have never gone back to passives.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts