1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my current setup:
CDA-9835
kicker zx 350.4 (for now)
1 pair: diamond audio d3 6.5 comps in kicks (a channel to each driver)
alpine pdx m12
FI Q 18 in a 7.5 cube box (removable port, usually sealed though)

I recently got this deck for 30 bucks because my buddy bought a car and just wanted a new stereo? Any way i was very happy because i could finally run my system active opposed to using the diamond crossovers provided. My issue is that with any decent amount of volume the 6.5's will distort any frequencies below like 250hz. The distortion is very easily heard. The 6.5's are brand new. I have no bass boost or any of that garbage on. I understand crossover points, slopes and all that nonsense.(not that i'm a master of it or anything). My guesses were that either these drivers just don't like the sealed enclosures that they are in or that they just don't play these frequencies very well at all. I think there's got to be something else though because i had the outputs on the deck at -7db and they would still distort at a little over half volume.

I also tried different sources:real cd, 320kps mp3 cd, aux, radio and the effects were the same

I apologize if i don't know what im talking about or I don't make any sense

Thanks, Lou

·
Human (not a robot)
2,384 Posts
What exactly do you have the high pass set for your midbass?
Do you have the correct RCAs going to the correct channels to run the midbass? i.e. on my 9887 the rear is for tweeters and the front is for mids.
Are you sure the kicks are sealed? Could there be air leaking out someplace?
Is it both mids or only one?
Does the distortion stay if you switch the speakers at the amp? i.e. if your mids are on channels 1-2 can you switch them to channels 3-4 and still hear the distortion?

I have Diamond M6 mids playing down to ~70hz on a 12db/octave high pass crossover with no distortion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What exactly do you have the high pass set for your midbass?
Do you have the correct RCAs going to the correct channels to run the midbass? i.e. on my 9887 the rear is for tweeters and the front is for mids.
Are you sure the kicks are sealed? Could there be air leaking out someplace?
Is it both mids or only one?
Does the distortion stay if you switch the speakers at the amp? i.e. if your mids are on channels 1-2 can you switch them to channels 3-4 and still hear the distortion?

I have Diamond M6 mids playing down to ~70hz on a 12db/octave high pass crossover with no distortion.
1. I initially had my high pass for the midbasses set at 80hz with a 6db slope for a starting point. Eventually i kept messing with it and its at 200hz with no slope right now just to relieve my midbass drivers of distortion for the time being.

2.My RCA's are correctly ran and connected, but i will double check because better safe than sorry.

3. the kicks are glassed and should be pretty well sealed. maybe they are leaking a little where the wires run in ( i usually put a little bit of clay there but didnt this time.) Could that cause this much distortion though?

4. both midbasses are distorting the same which leads me to believe it is the signal they are getting.

5. ill try switching up channels and such along with checking the RCA's and get back to ya.

appreciate your help man:)

thanks, lou

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i checked everything over and was good wiring wise.
ended up playing with the crossover points
sub up to 80hz
midbass 80hz(24db slope) to 6300hz(no slope)
tweets 6.3k(18db slope) and up

seems like the mid bass drivers do a better job around 5k than the tweets.

I looked more into the distortion situation and found that the kick that probably is a tad more leaky seems to distort more. Im thinkin i need to pull them out and seal them up better, which will hopefully solve my problem.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Kicks? Sealed? What volume?

Run their Qts parameters thru WinISD and see what enclosure they need.
With Qts of 1.0 they want something more or less infinite in it's volume - leaky door at it's best.

Cross 'em at 120Hz to get away from the Fs, but it won't help much with bass output.
FI Q 18 - "18" is for 18"? If so, then it won't play to the 80s. Therefore you'll get a hole in the 80-120hz range.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kicks? Sealed? What volume?

Run their Qts parameters thru WinISD and see what enclosure they need.
With Qts of 1.0 they want something more or less infinite in it's volume - leaky door at it's best.

Cross 'em at 120Hz to get away from the Fs, but it won't help much with bass output.
FI Q 18 - "18" is for 18"? If so, then it won't play to the 80s. Therefore you'll get a hole in the 80-120hz range.
Ill try messing with that. yea the kicks are sealed not sure on volume.
yea the 18" Fi does better crossed at 63hz.
If i cant get these drivers to play that low i guess ill need to replace them, but im not giving up yet

1 - 6 of 6 Posts