Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speaker setup
Front: 6.5" MB Quart QSD's comps
Rear: ED EHQS 8" (no tweeters)
Sub: 1 x 12" Polk Momo sealed

Amps:
US Acoustics USA4080
MTX Thunder 684 Car Amp - Product details and features - DealTime

1. In an active setup with a 9887 (or any HU), I should be able to split the RCA output from the HU to two different woofer amp(s) so I can run an identical signal to my front and rear woofers, right?

I'll lose the TA function on the rear woofers, but besides that it should work as long as each set gets two channels of amp output.

2. I have two 4-channel amps, one (USA 4080) will drive the rear fill and be bridged to a sub. The other (Thunder 684) will drive the front stage.

Should I be allocating the power differently? The Thunder is 70x4 RMS (birthsheet) and the USA is 80x4 RMS @12.5v. Could I mix the amps that power the front stage, or will this disrupt the tone?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Speaker setup
Front: 6.5" MB Quart QSD's comps
Rear: ED EHQS 8" (no tweeters)
Sub: 1 x 12" Polk Momo sealed

Amps:
US Acoustics USA4080
MTX Thunder 684 Car Amp - Product details and features - DealTime

1. In an active setup with a 9887 (or any HU), I should be able to split the RCA output from the HU to two different woofer amp(s) so I can run an identical signal to my front and rear woofers, right?

I'll lose the TA function on the rear woofers, but besides that it should work as long as each set gets two channels of amp output.

2. I have two 4-channel amps, one (USA 4080) will drive the rear fill and be bridged to a sub. The other (Thunder 684) will drive the front stage.

Should I be allocating the power differently? The Thunder is 70x4 RMS (birthsheet) and the USA is 80x4 RMS @12.5v. Could I mix the amps that power the front stage, or will this disrupt the tone?
Why would you split the rca's ?

that alpine is a 3 way active HU you should have a pair of rca's (red/white) going to each amp channel, on a 6-chanel amp you would have 3 pairs of rca cable going to that amp from the HU.

1 set of rca's for tweet's

1 Set of rca's for Mid's

1 Set of rca's for Woofers'/Sub's

Or a 4-channel and a 2-channel would be like this

4-channel

1 set of rca's for tweet's

1 Set of rca's for Mid's

plus 2-channel for sub

1 Set of rca's for Woofers'/Sub's.

And btw any Hu with three pair's of rca out's is for a 3-way system, now they may or may not have a built in x-over though

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
also

I live in the chicagoland area, and i could do this install for you, Check my website for more details, It does need to be updated BTW

Myspace.com/marccaraudio

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I noticed you're from Round Lake, I don't see too many people from IL on here. It's finally warming up so it's time to finish my install...anyways...

I like how the woofers in the rear raise my soundstage, and fill/reinforce the sound of the QSD's. The imaging suffers a bit, but not enough to bother me.

I just want to be sure this would work without introducing noise, lowering signal strength, etc. In theory it will work, just not sure if it's been done and what the outcome was.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I noticed you're from Round Lake, I don't see too many people from IL on here. It's finally warming up so it's time to finish my install...anyways...

I like how the woofers in the rear raise my soundstage, and fill/reinforce the sound of the QSD's. The imaging suffers a bit, but not enough to bother me.

I just want to be sure this would work without introducing noise, lowering signal strength, etc. In theory it will work, just not sure if it's been done and what the outcome was.
Woofers increasing height, thats a different opinion. I was under the impression that to raise the stage height the human ear/brain had to actually be able to hear and process the wave patern something it has a very hard time doing at frequencies below 7-9k. Everything blow that is supose to be at or blow eye level, hence the reason for putting tweeters up higher. Maybe I need to take some more anatomy and physics class though, my memory is shot.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a Grand Am and the rear deck is absurdly high. If that wasn't the case I wouldn't get a higher soundstage, but just as mobile audio goes, it matters which vehicle the install is in...

I'll post some pics of what I've done at some point this week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts