DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this may be a silly question but I was thinking today. In a passive network, the crossover doesn't split the power between the two speakers evenly. It splits it based on frequency.

Dealing with one channel for simplicity:
50w x1 passivly crossed at 2.5khz. You wouldn't say it's 100w for the channel, 50x1 for the mid and 50x1 for the tweeter. It's 50w split based on frequency.

Actively crossed. 50x1 for the mid 50x1 for the tweeter both crossed at 2.5khz. Commonly it's seen said that it's 100w for the channel.

Wouldn't it be properly said as 50w for the channel as opposed to the commonly stated 100w?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean semantics. When people say "I have 500w per side" but they really have 250 for midbass, 150 for midrange, and 100 for tweeters, they really should be saying they have... like 250w per side or 166.67w per side...

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
When i state that i have 640w alone on my frontstage thats saying the 6 up front are getting that amount, power distrobution when it comes to amps and active is only relative for that amount of power on a certain speaker, be it 82dbspl1w1m as opposed to a 93w.........numbers mean nothing really there only numbers, but i also look at what speakers people are running and how much power they have on it )a 250w on a speaker thats 90db from 60-250 can do alot of damage if tuned properly in a correct door).......dosent mean it can in there install only possibilities, there using it but the potential is there.....Just like a boulder on a cliff, potential energy and what it can possibly do.

My amps do 82w [email protected] midrange/tweets, plenty on a 90-93db speaker over for almost realistic levels in their USED bandwidth, and enough to tear my ears off when i want. 250w on my 84db midbasses arn't what i'd like optimally more headroom would be nice, but they do plenty in their bandwidth.

As far as passives idk, havn't used any that i've liked, and there all phase locked on 2ways, 3ways make it more complicated and phase isint a concern but fixed passive points suck on 3way. Limited flexability.

Did that make any sense?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts