DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm starting a system in my car and i have already:

- cheap clarion mp3 head unit, no eq, one preout
- phoenix gold zx450 (with 2k-6k bandpass feature)

the diy component prices are approx (delivered to australia):
- $330 seas ca18rnx/lpg 25nfa (lpg shipped from usa)
- $350 rs180/rs25a (all shipped from usa)

for the prices listed above, what's better value ?

second question, the ZX450 has a bandpass feature which means channels 1+2 can be 'mutliplied by 10' (x10) from 2-6khz. however when using this features channels 3+4 bandpass to the lowpass filter (eg 80hz). so if i set it to:

80hz and 300hz (x10) the tweeter will receive >3khz and the woofer will receive 80-3khz.

however when tuning i heard that the highpass of the tweeter shouldnt be indentical to the lowpass of the woofer (it creates a peak).

what can i do about this ?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Well your situation might be different. You never know if your mounting application can actually allow for such high tuning on middriver. I would think you would like to get it closer to 1.5khz, but looks like you are stuck. I say just try it to see what your ears tell you.

I would go with the Daytons

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey i just checked the specs,

on the front channels i can highpass the tweets from 300hz all the way to 6000hz and then bandpass the midbass from 30hz to the highpass on the front channels.

so ..
front channels = highpass 300hz to 6000hz
rear channels = 30hz to front channels setting (300hz to 6000hz)

so it's very flexible but the highpass for the tweeter must be the same as the lowpass for the midbass.

my thoughts on dayton vs seas/lpg
- dayton drivers seem very good and detailed (metal cone) however they might be a little too detailed for mp3/radio
- dayton drivers are much easier to fit in terms of the woofer (less depth)
- dayton tweeter is huge and will only fit at 'kickpanel' level which probably means a reduction in stage height

ideally i would get the dayton woofer with the lpg tweeter however the lpg cant be crossed over low enough to avoid the midbass high frequency breakup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.