DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: active tuning my components

Trying to tune in a problem vehicle w/ a lot of things working against me...
The factory mid/tweeter locations in my 2013 Jeep Wrangler put the tweeters up on the dash cross-firing into the cabin and the mid's below the dash where your knee would rest and behind a curved plastic panel that doesn't sit flush with the mid. The mids fire directly toward the driver/pass and the tweeters fire toward opposite side's headrest. The mids and tweeters are also about 18" apart from each other.

My question is, in this situation where two drivers (mid/tweeter) acoustical centers are not on the same plane and farther apart than ideal, is it still possible to use my Bitone to correct for this problem? What kind of problems would I experience with this sort of configuration? Where/how should I start to try to fix this? (without custom fabrication) Is this an xover, TC fix or something else?

I realize that with this setup I never may be able to get the audiophile sound I'm looking for but I'm just trying to make the best of it at this point. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm going to guess that to tune this sort of setup you would follow the same steps as any other install but i'm curious if there's any particular characteristic that this sort of driver placement could give me problems with. Maybe someone with experience in this situation?

·
Banned
4,394 Posts
having the ability to tune via a DSP gets you much closer, much quicker than attempting to do various tweaks on a passive crossover or a simple electronic crossover.

I don't see why this configuration should be especially difficult.

you could attempt to run the midranges in your dash below beaming frequencies and replacing the tweeters with a small wide band driver.

or you could run the midranges crossed up high with the right component mids, and just add the very top end, 5Khz and up, from the dash locations.

the knee/ dash panel could be used as a frame for a fabric mesh cover, perforated to keep reflections from inside the compartment from causing issues.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you could attempt to run the midranges in your dash below beaming frequencies and replacing the tweeters with a small wide band driver.

or you could run the midranges crossed up high with the right component mids, and just add the very top end, 5Khz and up, from the dash locations.

the knee/ dash panel could be used as a frame for a fabric mesh cover, perforated to keep reflections from inside the compartment from causing issues.
What do you mean by "below beaming frequencies"? Also i'm going to be sticking with a 2-way setup up front, Mid+Tweeter and a rear sub. Are you saying that i'll need to cross the tweeters over higher and let the mids play higher?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts