DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys so what is the general concensus on crossovers. Should I use passive crossovers or an active crossover for my mids and tweets?

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
You gain more control running active, but it can be a daunting task at times to get dialed in right. If you've never run active before, try using the passive first. Then you can get a feel for how they should sound. Then if you feel the need, you can move to active and have a better idea of how they should sound and blend.

·
Registered
898 Posts
MS-8 WILL be your friend...

Active FTW

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
It may be conceivable that a lot of speakers with passive crossovers sound awesome in your car. However, active crossover is a tweaker's heaven. You can learn a lot about your audio system when you try to set gains and time alignment. Also, if you need 3-way front or you want to use raw diy drivers, active seems like the way to go. Going active shouldn't be too expensive. You just need 2 extra amp channels and an active crossover. I have seen on sold for like $100 (Coustic XM?)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the ideas guys. I actually have an active, then 2 passive crossovers. but i am gonna go with the active. I do love tweaking my system just the way I like it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Going active shouldn't be too expensive. You just need 2 extra amp channels and an active crossover.
I've always wondered who/what the JL Audio XD600/6 was designed for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts