DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first Acura TL (w/ Nav) and like most people, want to upgrade the stereo. I've been doing searches on here and on Acurazine to see what others have done. I plan on keeping the stock HU. After reading, I plan on getting an AudioControl Matrix for sound processing. The ACM takes rca's for it's inputs. My first question is, do I tap into the factory wiring before or after the factory amp and convert those into RCA's and run it to the matrix?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I want to get a decently priced, but good sounding set of components for the front, a 4 channel amp to power the interior speakers, and another amp to power either a 10 or 12 inch sub. The listen to rock, electronic music and some hip hop. Any suggestions would be very helpful :)

·
Registered
834 Posts
You'll want to tap the pre-amp signal. Wiring color codes can be found on A-zine pretty easily.

Also, why do you need a 4-channel for a single component set? Unless you're looking for an amp that has the ability to run active and that's why you need 4 channels, I'd just use the passive x-overs, use 2 channels for the components and bridge the other 2 for the sub.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So I could leave the rears connected to the factory amp and just power the fronts with a 2 channel amp? Also I want to keep the center channel for the nav voice so I'm assuming I would just leave that connected to the factory amp as well? Any recommendations for a good component set and a 2 channel amp?

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'd say between 600-800 overall. Processor, front components, amp(s), 10 or 12" sub
That's going to be pretty difficult. I'd look into figure out whether you want bass or a nice front stage first, then build later.

3sixty.2- $200
ID ctx - $200
Dayton 12" HO w/ box- $200
....do you get my drift...

That's w/o amp, wires, etc and that's a BASIC install

·
Registered
20 Posts
@OUSooner - A familiar face from AcuraZine I see. Anyway, you mentioned something I've wondered about. I currently installed a Polk Carbon Series C500.1 mono amp to power a 10" Polk MM1040DVC and I was thinking of getting a JL 300/4 to power my other speakers. But from what it sounds like, there isn't much need to power the rear speakers as they don't do a lot anyway.
Could I get the JL 300/4 and use the front inputs to power my front speakers (stock for now) and the remaining inputs bridged to power my sub, thus eliminating the need for 2 amps?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts