DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
2014 Audi A6 3.0T stage 2.
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add a sub to my system temporarily until I do a full instal in the spring. I want to take the speaker wires going to the oem sub and connect them to the speaker level input of a jl audio jx 500/1 amp. I have no idea what the bose amp output to the sub is and if the jl can handle that power. Any suggestions greatly appreciated

· Registered
6,838 Posts
You will need something like Audio Control LC2I to either convert the signal and provide proper signal for amplifier.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
2016 Mazda 6 GT
2,520 Posts
I did just what you're talking about in my wife's Audi. I used a Kicker Key 500.1 and upgraded the Bose 8" to an IDQ8-D2 and I have to say it sounds pretty damn good especially for it's simplicity! Not sure if the JL will take the voltage on it's own.

· Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I mainly want to know what the output voltage of the bose amp to the sub is. So i can figure out if i need a separate loc or can go drectly to a jl jx500. High level input is 2-10 volts

· Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JimmyDee, I first read your rs5 build a few months ago in audizine. Im planning my main build now for summer install. I reread it on this site and it convinced me to do oem speaker placement as opposed to front pods. Thank you so much.

· Registered
3,994 Posts
I mainly want to know what the output voltage of the bose amp to the sub is. So i can figure out if i need a separate loc or can go
That's going to be impossible to tell you without knowing which model and year Audi you have. Ideally, a picture of the amp can help.

My old 2006 A4 had Bose, but there were different amplifiers and the correct one needed to be identified before determining outputs.

· Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thought that was in the first post but not so
2014 a6 mmi 3+ bose system. Ive received a lot of great help so far
thanx everyone

· Premium Member
2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS
109 Posts
In my wife’s ‘17 Q5 I used the speaker lead going to the subwoofer for high level input with no issues. I tried it through a converter, but the level was not enough.

· Registered
43 Posts
I added a JL XD300/1v2 + JL 8w3 to my 2008 S4 Avant back in the day. I originally spliced into the speaker level inputs going to the factory subwoofer, which I had disconnected. I found the quality to be very poor, taking the amplified signal from the factory monoblock amp.

I switched it out to use the pre-amplified signal feeding into the factory amp, which is also speaker level. This was what I ended up settling on. Tossed the amplifier in with the spare wheel well, grounded to the same. It was a very good upgrade, incredible bang for the buck. Here are some photos I had saved from 2014. Don't take the signal after amplification from your stock amp. You want to delete that thing from the equation.

Hood Automotive lighting Luggage and bags Automotive design Trunk

Electrical wiring Computer hardware Hood Electronic instrument Grille

Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Hood

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Trunk
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

A bit of a hack job by myself, but mostly clean when covers are all on. I loved that car.

· Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Signal to oem amp is fibre optic. Will be doing full conversion with mobridge da1 in summer. Just want to add sub for now.

· Premium Member
2016 Mazda 6 GT
2,520 Posts

· Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not at all. I just sold a 2008 a4 sline stage 2. I hate all the audi mmi ********. Most user unfriendly crap around.

· Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hotbox, I just noticed you are a new member too. Welcome ad thanx for the input

· Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice s4, ive had 6 Audi avants. I miss them too

· Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So up to 0 degrees today, thats 32 for usa. Tested my Bose amp 60hz at 80% volume 18v to the sub. So cant use speaker level inputs on the jl jx500/1. bought a pac lp7 which claims works for bose oem amps. Should have real base soon
thanx everyone

1 - 20 of 22 Posts