DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I will be adding a 2nd battery to my car and will soon be starting my build. I've been patrolling various forums waiting for folks to sell either welding cable or OFC at a good price. I'm planning on making 2 runs (+ and -) from front to back. I have 15ft of 2/0 and I'm needing another 15-17 feet of 2/0 to match. My question is, could I get away with running KnuKoncepts KCA 1/0 for the second run? I can't find any 2/0 welding cable in the length I need unless I were to buy a huge run of it which is much more than I am willing to spend. Knu
Kolossus OFC at that length is really pushing it price wise too. Thoughts?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Second battery why?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With my total wattage of my amps equaling up to 2400w on a 110 alt, I would think it would be the thing to do to help prevent voltage drops. I wont be buying a new alt starting out, but I will buy a battery for the back which would be much cheaper. If for some reason the voltage does drop, at that time I will buy a bigger capacity alt.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Considering the fact that most amps do rated power at 14.4 volts(exceptions being jl with rips tech) a second battery will do nothing for you.
In fact it will only put a bigger strain on your alt with the fact that it will now need to charge not only one but two batteries and "try" to keep up with the demands of your amps.
Save the money and time on the batt and wire and put it on the big three and and your new alt.

·
Registered
898 Posts
wattage means nothing!

PS: Replace your main with a Die Hard Plat, big 3 with knu 0 gauge. If you get any drops, you need a better alt is the bottom line.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Personally I would ditch the second battery idea and use that money towards the big three and if need be a bigger alternator.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts