DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I asked around on a few forums about my custom dual 2. Since I am adding a second coil, going from a single 2 layer to a dual 4 layer, I am adding mass and adding double the wire for current. I now have double the windings in the gap. So I asked if my Fs would drop a tad from added mass, efficiency would go up a touch from having double the windings, and if power handling would go up a tad as well as now I have 2 wires sharing the power, thus 1/2 the power going through each wire.

I was basically told NO.

Now I put some paint on a cone, and all you experts are like "DUDE you changed your thiele small parameters!"

Are you guys freakin kidding me?

And you all spend so much time trying to sound so convincing and take the time to tell me what it did and why... and it's all a big joke.

But adding double the copper, halving the power/current going through each coil, more glue to hold the 2nd coil to the 1st one, doubling the number of tinsel leads and the glue to hold them, a second anti-tinsel slap pad, the glue to hold that as well..... none of that mattered. But now this super heavy super stiffening paint?

And inverting a dustcap cuz an employee said not to. Seriousely? We tested the driver and it doesnt dissrupt any airflow so far, and it isn't coming off...it was quite secure before all the paint, and the paint can only help strengthen the bond already present holding this inverted dust cap to the cone.

Give me a break people.

·
Registered
360 Posts
this is so wrong. where do you start untangling this mess of words. if you have a custom sub built you are going to have different t/s parameters. buy the tool and analyze your new sub. compare the numbers with the original and see how much ******** it is for yourself.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this is so wrong. where do you start untangling this mess of words. if you have a custom sub built you are going to have different t/s parameters. buy the tool and analyze your new sub. compare the numbers with the original and see how much ******** it is for yourself.
I know the customized 2nd coil changed things a bit. I am not overly concerned, just curious. I'm not spending money i don't have to simply know the answers, when I won't change anything in my setup because of the little differences. But an educated guess of the slight changes and in which direction it changed certain things would be nice to know.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
The paint thing has almost zero effect on T/S's. Doubling your windings though, does. It doesn't "increase" efficiency. All you gain is extra BL, but at the sacrifice of doubling the mass of the coil (extra coil mass = lower efficiency). You may see an extra dB on a T/S sheet, but you won't gain 2-3 dB by doubling the coil mass from adding double the layers inside the same gap.

It depends on what you're using the driver for. Extra mass might be what you're looking for. However, for an IB driver used in an IB configuration, you're not gaining a whole lot by doubling up everything (tinsel leads, tampons ("anti lead slap pads"), glue, etc) since all you're doing is adding mass for the "extra" current. If you had that much power where you were burning through the previous leads (which I doubt), then the second set of leads would be warranted. But with a long 3" coil, you'd be hard-pressed to burn up a pair of tinsel leads before something else gave way...especially IB.

But what is your post about? Are you trying to inform members on here that you heard no difference in the multiple changes that you did to the driver, or that you measured no change in T/S's, or what?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The paint thing has almost zero effect on T/S's. Doubling your windings though, does. It doesn't "increase" efficiency. All you gain is extra BL, but at the sacrifice of doubling the mass of the coil (extra coil mass = lower efficiency). You may see an extra dB on a T/S sheet, but you won't gain 2-3 dB by doubling the coil mass from adding double the layers inside the same gap.

It depends on what you're using the driver for. Extra mass might be what you're looking for. However, for an IB driver used in an IB configuration, you're not gaining a whole lot by doubling up everything (tinsel leads, tampons ("anti lead slap pads"), glue, etc) since all you're doing is adding mass for the "extra" current. If you had that much power where you were burning through the previous leads (which I doubt), then the second set of leads would be warranted. But with a long 3" coil, you'd be hard-pressed to burn up a pair of tinsel leads before something else gave way...especially IB.

But what is your post about? Are you trying to inform members on here that you heard no difference in the multiple changes that you did to the driver, or that you measured no change in T/S's, or what?
Thank you VERY much for that info. That is exactly what my post is about. I simply wanted to know what, if any, effects the second coil would have. No one could answer that. The I put up some pics for people to trash talk... and they did. But it was interesting that everyone said the 2nd coil wouldn't do anything worth noting, then when i put pics of a painted cone, suddenly I redesigned the woofer and went against Fi's personal wishes.

I think it's pretty self explnitory :)

Thank you again for the info I wanted.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I personally gave you a break on the other forum too. :) You're welcome
Sometimes we need them, so thank you. This forum **** is frustrating, and I'm getting to the point where I just want to push the limits and see just how much ******** everyone will believe ( april fools joke smoking a voice coil saying I thought I was breaking it in) before I abandon the whole thing, as I'm not getting much of what I expected out of them.

Seems to me mostly a bunch of immature people who overall seem smart and knowledgeable, but who are quick to bash and talk trash.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
so where is this first post that you got bashed in? no ones really bashing you in the thread i see (even though you were asking for it). you said you posted this on several forums. Seems to me the immaturity lies with someone else... this thread is pointless

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is a lesson that kids have to learn too.

Is the content of the TV show real? No. News TV, No. Cartoons? NO. DVDs, video games? NO!

They all have data you may or may not use. If you use the data, it is at your own risk.

Now the question, is the internet real? Sadly no. Use the data you find as you see fit, but get a grip. It is just letters and numbers on the screen. Some of the data here is excellent, some is just BS. Certainly none of it is consistent.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so where is this first post that you got bashed in? no ones really bashing you in the thread i see. you said you posted this on several forums... this thread is pointless
I don't believe I got bashed in the posts about changes from the coil. It mostly got ignored, and just a couple answers saying nothing would change worth noting. I believe they are on SSA and ROE.

But the paint threads obviousely had quite a bit of bashing.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is a lesson that kids have to learn too.

Is the content of the TV show real? No. News TV, No. Cartoons? NO. DVDs, video games? NO!

They all have data you may or may not use. If you use the data, it is at your own risk.

Now the question, is the internet real? Sadly no. Use the data you find as you see fit, but get a grip. It is just letters and numbers on the screen. Some of the data here is excellent, some is just BS. Certainly none of it is consistent.
:D
thats for dammned sure!

:)

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,007 Posts
It is hard to take anything the OP says seriously, so I am going to put him on my ignore list. That is a nifty feature :D

·
Registered
17,148 Posts
**** yeah! Flame that ***** from the center out!

I flamed a powermac G5, so since I have already done the sin you can certainly falme a speaker!

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
FYI for the OP.

This is a prime example of what people now think DIYMA is and never new the old DIYMA.

99% of the OG with knowledge don't care about some sub with this, that or SPL. Originally people came here for active set-ups, different drivers, thinking outside the box and trying new things based on re-creating musical reproduction.

Most of the OG guys will not even enter a thread with this subject, not what they were here for.

Besides a lot of them are gone now and off to other forums.

If you want to know about subs this and that there are plenty of sites just for that.

This place each day keeps going in the wrong direction of what people think this site was originally created for.

If you add mass to the cone it will change specs how much depends on how much mass you add, how its added ect. It changes the origanal moving mass. How much will it change the specs have no clue without running a test and measuring. All the other changes you have made will also have an affect that will be more than painting the cone. No one here can tell you what the T/S are without testing/measuring the new sub you have created/built.

However seeing that SPL is what you are after painting the cone should not add or take away from the dbzzzzzz you are after unless you weighted the cone so much that the motor ect. can barley move the cone. If you want to try it out just lay a 50lbs. weight on the cone gently and check it out. J/K about the last part.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts