DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mostly-original 1977 Plymouth Gran Fury, and I'd like to have the option of using an MP3 player...but without replacing the original stereo. I recall someone telling me that I could splice an auxiliary input -- with a toggle, so I could flip between the signal and input -- but I've been unable to find any instructions online. I'm not quite confident enough in my abilities to just start clipping wires.*

How could/would I go about doing this, and what materials/tools would be required?

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
What are you trying to power? You can do that with RCA, LOC the stock HU and find a switch or some of the EQs will run it that way, have an aux input. Then run to your amp(s). Or are you trying to get the MP3 signal inside the stock HU amp?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Could just use an fm modulator, though the sound will only be as good as your radio.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry...I didn't realize the actually vague nature of my question until replies started coming in.

No amps, nothing special at all: Just the stock radio deck and a speaker.

I don't like FM transmitters, though I'd forgotten about modulators (which would definitely seem the easiest way to go). Ideally, I'd like to just be able to plug an iPod direct. The car is in amazing condition, but it's understated and I'd like to keep it that way...inside and out.

For now...

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Sorry...I didn't realize the actually vague nature of my question until replies started coming in.

No amps, nothing special at all: Just the stock radio deck and a speaker.

I don't like FM transmitters, though I'd forgotten about modulators (which would definitely seem the easiest way to go). Ideally, I'd like to just be able to plug an iPod direct. The car is in amazing condition, but it's understated and I'd like to keep it that way...inside and out.

For now...
They make radios for classic cars that retain the classic look but have modern features
Vintage Car Radio .com
its not original, but you dont have to modify anything and it will do what you want it to do

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Powered wired FM Modulators are actually not that bad compared to wireless FM modulators. The signal is stronger and interrupts the antenna lead directly. Most of them come with a switch to turn on and off the modulator so that you can listen to FM or the aux in. I would consider this route if you want to keep the stock deck.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I recently did this in a 72 Cadillac Coupe Deville with the original am/fm/8 track.

Used a wired FM modulator and it came in great once you fiddled with the tuning knob just the right way.

Old analog tuning dials = fail. :(

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Powered wired FM Modulators are actually not that bad compared to wireless FM modulators. The signal is stronger and interrupts the antenna lead directly. Most of them come with a switch to turn on and off the modulator so that you can listen to FM or the aux in. I would consider this route if you want to keep the stock deck.
I agree, for the sound you will get this will work as well as anything. I have a FM CD changer I ran on a stock HU for a while and it worked quite well I thought. The only issue I had was once it got a bad connection on the antenna plug and I lost all my weak FM stations. After some messing with the connector got it working again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts