DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to piece together something better than stock in my '05 Impala LS but on a small budget. Here's what I have so far:

Rockford Fosgate Prime 1693 in the rear deck
Rockford Fosgate Prime 1652-s in the doors
Pioneer GM-9500F 4 channel amp
factory stereo

I'm not going to be upgrading the stereo right now, but would like to add a sub. I listen to mostly rock/metal with some rap/hip hop thrown in. I'm planning on building a sealed sub enclosure in the corner of my trunk with fiberglass. I'd like to still have tight bass for the drums in the rock, but also like the lows in the rap. Not looking for something that is going to shake houses 3 blocks away. I'm not sure if it should be a 10" or 12".

Any suggestions on a sub $200 or less? Any amp recommendations for the suggested sub?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
size of the sub will mostly be dictated by how much space you want to give and how much money you are willing to spend.

are you looking to spend $200 for amp AND sub AND enclosure?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Realistically, a decent fiberglass enclosure is going to cost $100 in materials at the very least, not counting the sub. On the other hand, you could probably find a decent sealed sub in a box on craigslist for fifty bucks.

For the full $200, you could easily buy a nice prefab like this: Rockford Fosgate® - P1-1X12

What about the budget for an amp?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are you looking to spend $200 for amp AND sub AND enclosure?
Realistically, a decent fiberglass enclosure is going to cost $100 in materials at the very least, not counting the sub. On the other hand, you could probably find a decent sealed sub in a box on craigslist for fifty bucks.

For the full $200, you could easily buy a nice prefab like this:

What about the budget for an amp?
The $200 is the max for the sub only. For the amp, probably would max out up to $300. I'd actually like to build my own box. Partially because I like to tinker and partially because I'd like to keep it as unobtrusive as possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts