DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to modify the A pillars of my 2004 Cadillac CTS-v to install the tweets from an Alpine SPX-PRO17 set. They were too large to install from behind, so I cut off the rear part of the grill that kept it attached to the panel with clips, and widened the hole in the panel to accommodate the the new tweet.

The adhesive you see is 3M 45 General Purpose spray adhesive to keep the fabric from unfurling.

This is what it looks like from the front.

With the factory grill reattached. I used the same 3M 45 General Purpose Spray adhesive, but after only one day in the car, they have both fallen off. The glue is warm from the sun, and still tacky.

Driver's side

Passenger's side

What can I use to keep these on, while dealing with the Florida sun, and not destroying the panel upon removal?

Thanks for any ideas,

AWDTalon92

·
Registered
699 Posts
Just use a couple dabs of hot glue in the corners... I suppose if you wanna go super over kill you could get a few factory retension clips apoxy them to the covers, then cut a few slots in the pillars resulting in a factory type of snap in system. I would just do the couple dabs of hot glue and be done with it tho.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
That..^^^

Spay glue will never hold a "heavy" grill in place.. hot glue or maybe try the hook sides of velcro on the grill portion..?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've definitely use hot glue before for tweeters in door panels and such, but I have a lot more working room and time in those situations. I'm just worried that putting 3 dabs of glue, then applying the grill to the pillar would have to be done in just a few seconds or the glue will set. I guess I will just have to give it a try.

I thought about creating some kind of retention clip, but it seems it would have to be overly complicated. The Velcro is a good idea, I should have some pieces lying around. I will give that a shot also.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.