DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like most here I have a 1 seat tune but haven’t done anything for when I have a passenger yet. What adjustments are made to make their ride bearable?
I assume I need to remove the delays on the left side drivers? Set TA to the center of the car? Or am I completely off base?
It doesn’t need to be a full on 2 seat tune…just better than everything sounding lien it’s in the passenger side footwell when someone is sitting on that side.

Reactions: lpreston

· Registered
10,775 Posts
Usually all I do is move the balance a few notches to the driver’s side. Nobody is going to get great staging at that point, so I don’t bother messing TA or anything else. I had a “2-seat” tune, but using my presets for different curves made more sense than wasting one on a tune for passengers.

· Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea…definitely not worried about any staging or anything else…just getting it out of the floor on that side. It’ll be 1 push of a button on the Director to swap over.

· Registered
1,038 Posts
Keep everything the same and just remove TA. Thats the best compromise I was able to come up with.

· Registered
333 Posts
Either TA everything to the passenger seat (ideal if you want to show off, for lack of a better term), remove TA or TA everything to a point between the two listening positions so it sounds equally not great for everyone, but still better than no TA (unless you just have 1 set of speakers in the front).

But this topic appears to be one of the 3rd rails on this site, lots of people have strong differing opinions.

· Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Either TA everything to the passenger seat (ideal if you want to show off, for lack of a better term), remove TA or TA everything to a point between the two listening positions so it sounds equally not great for everyone, but still better than no TA (unless you just have 1 set of speakers in the front).

But this topic appears to be one of the 3rd rails on this site, lots of people have strong differing opinions.
To be honest I think “equally not great for everyone” is the goal. lol
There’s also some realities with the car that don’t go away…like a dual 3” exhaust with four 4” tips exiting just below the rear hatch and 315 wide tires on all 4 corners so it will never be quiet at 80mph anyway.

· Registered
10,775 Posts
Keep everything the same and just remove TA. Thats the best compromise I was able to come up with.
The thing is, if a decent tune is done in the first place, the passenger speakers will be at least a couple decibels louder than the driver side speakers, due to the extra distance away from the listening position. By simply removing the time delay, you still have the passenger speakers much louder to the passenger, and the drivers side speakers much quieter.

I personally don't mess with the TA at all (outside of the occasional preset that I add to my DSP, then inevitably replace with another single seat tune) but I find it very important to move the balance to the driver side so that the passenger side speakers arn't screaming into the passengers ears. If you don't do this, then it sounds absolutely terrible to the passenger as soon as you bump the volume up to a fun level.

· Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The thing is, if a decent tune is done in the first place, the passenger speakers will be at least a couple decibels louder than the driver side speakers, due to the extra distance away from the listening position. By simply removing the time delay, you still have the passenger speakers much louder to the passenger, and the drivers side speakers much quieter.

I personally don't mess with the TA at all (outside of the occasional preset that I add to my DSP, then inevitably replace with another single seat tune) but I find it very important to move the balance to the driver side so that the passenger side speakers arn't screaming into the passengers ears. If you don't do this, then it sounds absolutely terrible to the passenger as soon as you bump the volume up to a fun level.
So TA to the middle of the seats and removing any cuts the the driver side output should get it bearable. Sounds like I was on the right path.

Reactions: GrM
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.