DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, I'm new here but have done my fair share of car audio research.
Today I received my second amp in the mail along with a 7 band EQ, Crossover, Line Driver.

Back in December I got a 4 channel which puts out 55Wx4 RMS at 4ohms. The way I adjusted gain on that was a sine wave test tone and a multimeter with a driver on channel 1 and channel 3 to adjust the front and rear gains respectively. I increased gain until I got to ~14VAC. That's all well and good; but since then I've done some upgrading.

I've added another 2 channel amp to power a single 10" pioneer sub in a sealed box, a 7 band EQ to separate each channel as well as increase source voltage, and a legitimate 4 gauge amp install kit, a more "secure" ground point, and a distru block.

The new amp provides bridged: 400Wx1 at 4 ohms
The EQ provides a max 7v output level

Now what I've read is that you don't want to use more than one electronic crossover so I've turned all the xovers off on the amps as well as bass boost. The only enabled xover besides the ones after the amps going to my tweeters/mids is the LPF on the EQ which is set at 90Hz.

Now here's for the real question in this long post. How would I go about adjusting the gains on my amps as well as the gain on my EQ.

I've done some reading on this site and there's a few different ways to adjust gain, but I'd like to use the sine wave multimeter process.

Edit: Car is an 86 BMW 528e. Rear speakers are MB Quarts 5.25" woofer and tweeters. Fronts are Clarion 4x6 plates. HU is Alpine CDE-9872.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You would want to hook up the audio output speaker channel (all 4 channel)(or audio cable L/R) from the deck and run the output from the deck to the all 4 channel inputs on the 7 band EQ , Then you will need to hook up 4 of it's channel of the outputs from the 7 band EQ to the the 55Wx4 channel amp imputs from the audio cables or you might need a audio cable L/R converter for the audio cable inputs on amp. And plus you need to trun off the HPF on amp that runs on the tweeters and mids.

For 10" subwoofer and 400w amp you would want the audio cable coming from the deck to the 400wx1 amp and then trun on LPF and bass boost from the amp and fix gain and set LPF to 160hz.

But if the 7 band EQ have a hook ups for subwoofers mono channels and does have a LPF built in then you would need to trun off the LPF for subwoofer and bass boost on the amp and then hook up the audio cable from the deck to the EQ then from the EQ to the amp that runs the subwoofer channel.

You will have to play with it to set your gain in the right way, It best if you have it at 16 volume from your deck a half way loud that is truned up from the raido and leave it on your favorite song then set the gain on the 4 channel amp to almost max. Don't play with the the eq yet. Make sure they are all flat in the EQ and truned on. Keep playing your favorite song over again. Then set your subwoofer gain to little more than half way on the gain. then start your song over again and then crank it up to 26 volume then set your EQ up then start working your way around the gain after you play with the EQ then go back and forth on the gain and EQ even the EQ that is on the deck. good luck

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
You would want to hook up the audio output speaker channel (all 4 channel)(or audio cable L/R) from the deck and run the output from the deck to the all 4 channel inputs on the 7 band EQ , Then you will need to hook up 4 of it's channel of the outputs from the 7 band EQ to the the 55Wx4 channel amp imputs from the audio cables or you might need a audio cable L/R converter for the audio cable inputs on amp. And plus you need to trun off the HPF on amp that runs on the tweeters and mids.

For 10" subwoofer and 400w amp you would want the audio cable coming from the deck to the 400wx1 amp and then trun on LPF and bass boost from the amp and fix gain and set LPF to 160hz.

But if the 7 band EQ have a hook ups for subwoofers mono channels and does have a LPF built in then you would need to trun off the LPF for subwoofer and bass boost on the amp and then hook up the audio cable from the deck to the EQ then from the EQ to the amp that runs the subwoofer channel.

You will have to play with it to set your gain in the right way, It best if you have it at 16 volume from your deck a half way loud that is truned up from the raido and leave it on your favorite song then set the gain on the 4 channel amp to almost max. Don't play with the the eq yet. Make sure they are all flat in the EQ and truned on. Keep playing your favorite song over again. Then set your subwoofer gain to little more than half way on the gain. then start your song over again and then crank it up to 26 volume then set your EQ up then start working your way around the gain after you play with the EQ then go back and forth on the gain and EQ even the EQ that is on the deck. good luck

OP, there are many, many, many threads on here that explain, in great detail, how to set your gains properly. this post ^^^^^ is not one of them. do a little searching and you will find them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I got my gains adjusted. 1kHz test tone and a multimeter for the 4 channel and 100Hz test tone for the sub. 14.8 VAC for the 4 chan. and 40 VAC for the sub. I think when I originally posted this I completely over thought my situation and thought it'd be more complicated than it should've been.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts