DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of using an ads 346 is mid with a focal tn 51 tweeter activly crossing over with an Audio control 4xs,how would the combo sound??Any suggestions..running off an arc 600.4 ,100 watts to each driver

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Sounds good to me. You have a fairly warm mid, combined with an icy sounding tweeter.

I would definitely keep the tn-51 highpassed at 4khz and up as it seems to struggle when used below that.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
stormtrooper said:
I was thinking of using an ads 346 is mid with a focal tn 51 tweeter activly crossing over with an Audio control 4xs,how would the combo sound??Any suggestions..running off an arc 600.4 ,100 watts to each driver
Personally, I'd go the other way around with the focal mid and a/d/s/ tweeter.

Seriously, the 346 is a decent driver. I get great output out of mine, even back when I was running it off of a 175wrmsx2 Orion, HPF ~100Hz, LPF ~400Hz. If I'm remembering that tweeter correctly, it's not quite as soft as the matching a/d/s/ tweeter. Both like to be highpassed a little on the high side (while the a/d/s/ extends smoothly down to lower freqs, the power handling on that tweet is somewhat questionable for a tweeter of that caliber). As usual, you're going to want to play with the xover settings a bit when mixing and matching like this. You may even want to consider adding a dedicated midrange driver in the future....

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
LOL, that's my combo back in 2001
Either 346 with TN51 or the Focal mids + ads tweet. :D
I'd do Focal all the way.
A/d/s/ is nothing special, imo. With some tuning, Focal can sound great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts