DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Advice for someone re-entering mobile audio

4K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  mrstop 
#1 ·
Hi all:

Many years ago I drove a 280Z with a Concord HU (cassettes, recorded on a Nakamichi!), a/d/s speakers and an a/d/s Powerplate amp. :cool: But now I'm a dad with bills to pay and I'm driving a 2001 Honda Odyssey.:blush: I've got 100,000 miles on it and want to make driving it for the next 100,000 a little more enjoyable. So I'd like advice, please, on how to move into this gradually.

What I'm thinking:

First I need a decent, expandable HU. Would love to be able to run an iPod or my BlackBerry through it--I know it's not high fidelity but it's virtually free! And I'd also run CDs, so high sound quality would be nice.

Next I would install 6.5 components in the front doors and probably some sound insulation material. I heard the Alpine 600c components and thought they were pretty musical, but because I probably won't add a sub anytime soon, I'd like something with good low end, and I think these might be shy in that regard.

Finally, I'd add probably just a strong 2-channel amp. I'd leave the little 4-inch speakers in the back in place to possibly add some fill. I don't see myself ever adding a sub to this vehicle--there's no place to do so without interfering with the functionality, except for those little under-the-seat things that I doubt are worth the effort.

Alpine? Kenwood? Eclipse? Clarion? What should be the HU that I start with?

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing from you.:happy:

See less See more
#2 ·
Two years ago, Alpine was the best HU for controlling an IPOD. Earlier this year, I purchased a Clarion DXZ785USB for my fiancee's vehicle and I find that its IPOD control is almost right on par with my Alpine Head Units.

As for budget components that provide decent low end, the Phoenix Gold RSd65CS 6.5s are about the best you can get for the money. I used a pair of Alpine Type S coaxials for a whopping month before I decided that they had to go.

About the only recommendation I can make is to find a head unit that has all the features you want out of the box within your budget, then go from there. Alpine, Clarion, Eclipse, Kenwood, and Pioneer all make excellent head units. Just watch those hidden costs for IPOD controls, Blue Tooth, etc. because that adds up quick if you aren't paying attention.

#3 ·
Welcome back to mobile audio. My advice to you is do tons of research on components, amps, head units before you buy anything. There are tons of great reviews about pretty much anything from budget to premium dollar equipment. I'd personally go with an Alpine head unit, I've always used them and they never fail me. Check out their website, I believe they have an iPod specific HU that you might be interested in.

#4 ·
I don't see myself ever adding a sub to this vehicle--there's no place to do so without interfering with the functionality, except for those little under-the-seat things that I doubt are worth the effort.
Welcome to the club, I've got an 02 Odyssey. There actually is a great place for a sub in these cars. Right between the front seats. I plan on taking out the stock folding tray and building a real center console in it's place that'll have the same functionallity on the top, just with better cup holders, but be able to house a sub or two below.

#5 ·
Thanks all.

06Mustang, I appreciate you pointing out that Clarion--lots of great features. Seems like the only issues in reviews are the UI. What's your impression of that? And the Phoenix Gold speakers are no longer available. Other suggestions for a place without a lot of room for huge magnets? (About 2.5 inches in the door panel.)

CulinaryGod, thanks--I will keep scanning the site for HU reviews. Alpine is a likely candidate.

Greg S, thanks for the sub suggestion for the Odyssey. I'd love to know what you're currently running in it for speakers, HU, damping, etc. I assume that you've looked at ShinJohn's old installs in the OdyForum site--he has an intriguing way of mounting the tweeters on kick panels using a very short length of PVC pipe!

Keep the comments coming!

mr.gone

#6 ·
06Mustang, I appreciate you pointing out that Clarion--lots of great features. Seems like the only issues in reviews are the UI. What's your impression of that? And the Phoenix Gold speakers are no longer available. Other suggestions for a place without a lot of room for huge magnets? (About 2.5 inches in the door panel.)
The Clarion HU takes a little getting used to, but it isn't that bad. Looking back, I wish I had purchased a couple of them when they were on sale.

As for speakers, I have been cheating and using Alpine Type R components in my shallow door locations. They aren't the best at producing bass, but, they aren't bad for a drop in, shallow mount, solution either. Then again, I am about modify the doors in my 97 Civic to take something bigger because I want more midbass up front.

You could always try the Alpine Type S speakers, but, I will say that the Type R components are worth the extra money spent since I own both.

#7 ·
Ditto on the Clarion 785USB iPod integration. My last HU was an Alpine 9885 which has iPod integration via an included iPod docking cable. There was always a 1 sec lag between when I hit the skip track button on the HU and the time the track actually skipped to next. With the Clarion, it is instant. The Clarion UI has a small learning curve, but it is my favorite UI to date, and I have owned a few different brand HUs. iPod control is super easy and intuitive. And also sounds great.

My mother has an 01 Odyssey that she uses for hauling duties, so I mirror your sentiment on finding a place for a sub without hurting functionality. There is a hole in the back left (IIRC) that might be a great place for a flush-mount fiberglassed enclosure, but I haven't time to look into it. I actually really like the fold-down center console, so I would NEVER do away with that. The cup holders are lame, but there are FOUR and there is tons of useful flat space. Plus on long trips I just fold it down and have my gf in my lap :) win win

#8 ·
I am basically and sadly starting over.
The first topic at hand right away is a head unit.
I need the best SQ without spending a thousand bucks on it. $300 was my max max limit but want to do right around $200 but throw out names of everything you think. What brand and model do you recommend? What do i have to pay to get really good SQ?

Old System
focal165a up front with the tweeters
Eclipse 6x9 Integrated SE8495 coaxial in the back
MTX 801D amp for the subs and a MTX 604 4 way
three 10" MTX Thunder 5500 series (300 watts RMS dual 4 OHM voice coil)

Head Unit first. and then subs. I can still use my amps.

Thank you very much for my essay. I didn't proof read so...
Mitchell

#10 ·
Hi guys:
I just bought the Clarion DXZ785USB from E & B Electronics, an Amazon affiliate, for $180. They only had 3 left when I bought, so if anyone else is interested in one, better act now! I couldn't find anyone else selling them for that price at the moment--next one up was charging more than $300.

Thanks to everyone who pointed me to this unit. This was my first posting and first purchase here. I'm really grateful to you all and am delighted I found this site.

#11 ·
Concord... wow, it's been awhile since I heard that name. I had a number of them back in the day. I still have a working HPL-130 with the Dolby C module somewhere in the pile.

You might also want to take a look at HAT speakers (Hybrid Audio Technologies Home) Their Clarus line is an awesome solution for decent bass if you don't go with a sub.

On the amp front, keep an eye on the classifieds section... you can pick up a decent 2 channel amp for pretty cheap.

Welcome back. ;)

#12 ·
Thanks, m3gunner. Yeah, the Concord and Nakamichi didn't play well together, I'm afraid. The Nak was so unique in how it laid down tracks on a cassette that normal cassette playback devices sounded awful with it. I actually ended up making one set of tapes to play at home on the Nak and a separate set to play back through the Concord, using a super-cheap Aiwa deck. And that was back in the day when you couldn't record any faster than real time, so every album I borrowed from someone required me to sit patiently, adjusting the recording volume, pausing to avoid tracks I didn't want on the tape (too much fast-forwarding would ruin the tape), etc., and doing that TWICE, once for home, once for playing in the Z. Now my son gets impatient when his CD burning into iTunes takes more than a couple of minutes.

Anyway, thanks for the speaker recommendation, but it looks like the mounting depth is 3 inches, and I think I've got maybe 2.5 in my doors before I start hitting glass. I'm leaning to the Alpine Rs as shallow speakers that might fit. Anything else to consider?

#14 ·
Wow, thanks for the memories. Those Concord decks were great back then. Making cassettes in real time was a real act of dedication.:)

As for the 2.5" depth limitation for front speakers, I think you are selling yourself short. OnlineCarStereo fit guide says 6.5s w/ a 4" depth will fit. Check it yourself here: Onlinecarstereo.com - Vehicle Fit Guide, What Fits My Car
Also you bought yourself an active capable deck in the Clarion. So you can actually piece together a nice DIY front stage using 4 channels of amplification. This will give you more control of the sound by letting you fully utilize level control of drivers, Eq, crossover points/slopes and T/A. This control will also give you more options for tweeter placement/staging.

#16 ·
Hi, Culinary God--Thanks for taking the time to look that up, but I am pretty sure the info saying that you have 4 inches mounting depth is incorrect. I'm going on the basis of a custom installation detailed in an online club dedicated to the Odyssey. The guy who described his install jammed a Focal and then a Dynaudio into the front doors and said afterward that he wouldn't be comfortable at much over 2.5 inches. He said he's afraid the person who got the van after him will have trouble. Also, the online stereo site says there are 4 inches available in depth for the speakers back there, and I know they have even less room than the fronts. Plenty of stories about speakers blocking seatbelts when trying any significant changes in those rear areas.

Living in Minnesota, I'm hesitant to be cutting holes too deep into a door and inviting moisture into that area. So I think that leaves me with relatively few choices. You agree?

#17 ·
Hi--Seems like my little faces didn't convey the emotions I was trying to get across. The embarassment is not about owning the Concord and Nak but in currently driving a minivan after being a 280Z guy. And not real embarassment at that--just acknowledging that I am no longer cool, if I ever was. (My kids are confident this is a lifelong affliction as well as a present-day reality.)

#18 ·
Mr.Gone,

nothing increases the cool factor to kids more than a bumpin system. I drove a Nissan Quest for several years, a Dodge gran Caravan for a couple more. All had stock system and an added sub. Changing the head and other speakers just makes it better.

#19 ·
Thanks for that observation, Cubdenno. I'm glad that worked out for you. My kids are at a stage--read, teenagers--that they are embarassed by their parents no matter what we do. Any bonus points I got from driving a vehicle with thumpin' tunes would be immediately lost as soon as I parked it and said "Hello" to their friends.

#20 ·
Haha I wouldn't bother trying to be cool to your kids. But if it ever gets tiresome, just take that Odyssey and smoke one of your kids' friend's ricer cars, and see how they like being slower than a minivan. The Honda is the coolest minivan on the planet. Be proud!

#21 ·
There is a guy here in town who was given an Odyssey minivan after he crashed his built and boosted lude. IIRC the Odyssey was a victim of the V6/Automatic w/Overdrive curse.

Anyhow, I know the mechanic who did the swap, and aside from cursing the cramped engine bay, the minivan runs the 1/4 in the high 13s.

#22 ·
Yeah, I got a teenager as well. Also cool factor goes up when your system is louder and better sounding than theirs!:D

#23 ·
Those odysseys are fast. Especially the newer ones. I used to Valet for a Honda dealership and we used one for shuttle. Oh man, I beat an RSX Type-S lol.

I'd say ...

Clarion DXZ785USB refurb ~$160
PPI 356Cs passive ~$135
www.sounddeadenershowdown.com front doors
USB2100/2150 from AudioClinic on ebay. <$100

done.

#24 ·
My pops got into car audio because of us kids. He stilll liked him music loud and old sounding. +cools pts for nice system -cool points for making it sound like a records and 8-tracks

#26 ·
Yeah, the Odyssey can move when you need it to. My pet peeve is guys who drive right up your butt as you're entering or exiting an on/off ramp--mad that you're slowing them down. The suspension is good enough on the Odyssey that I can call upon the skills I picked up from a buddy who raced sports cars professionally and dust 'em, even if they're driving a car with a much lower center of gravity. (If you don't understand how to set a proper line through a curve, you'll be slow, even if you're driving a BMW.)

As for noise, the biggest improvement I've experienced is putting on a set of quiet tires--Pirelli P4s in my case. But any day now I'll have to put on the winter tires and the decibels will go back up. So yeah, soundproofing is definitely in the future!

#27 ·
mr.gone,
I started to measure and fab up a center console enclosure and it looks like you would easily be able to fit a downfiring 10" between the seats. Enclsoure volume looks to be approximately 1.2 cu. ft. if you work to max it out. I should end up with about .82 cu. ft. since I'm going to design the console to house an amplifier on each side. Most likely I'll put the two RE8s I have sitting around in it. I'll post up picks when it gets a little further along. I only had a couple hours to start on it today.

#28 ·
Hi mr.gone
I too am just re-entering the scene--and it's a lot more confusing now then it was when I was a kid! I've experimented with a couple of the Alpine hu's--one w/cd the other w/out--and had to stick with the cd for SQ. The ipod interface on the newer Alpines is about the best I've seen--but beware that they only mate with the newer ipods. If you have one of the older ones(mine was one of my teenager's cast-offs) the Alpine won't recognize it. Good luck and happy shopping!

#29 ·
Thanks, Blind Pig. You're right--it is a lot more confusing. There are all sorts of speaker and amplifier brands out there that I never heard of; hard to guess what they sound like. Weird that the iPod compatibility would not apply to older models. Alpine and others must figure that older iPods stop working or are replaced, so why extend the compatibility beyond a couple of years?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.