DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Advice for someone re-entering mobile audio

4K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  mrstop 
#1 ·
Hi all:

Many years ago I drove a 280Z with a Concord HU (cassettes, recorded on a Nakamichi!), a/d/s speakers and an a/d/s Powerplate amp. :cool: But now I'm a dad with bills to pay and I'm driving a 2001 Honda Odyssey.:blush: I've got 100,000 miles on it and want to make driving it for the next 100,000 a little more enjoyable. So I'd like advice, please, on how to move into this gradually.

What I'm thinking:

First I need a decent, expandable HU. Would love to be able to run an iPod or my BlackBerry through it--I know it's not high fidelity but it's virtually free! And I'd also run CDs, so high sound quality would be nice.

Next I would install 6.5 components in the front doors and probably some sound insulation material. I heard the Alpine 600c components and thought they were pretty musical, but because I probably won't add a sub anytime soon, I'd like something with good low end, and I think these might be shy in that regard.

Finally, I'd add probably just a strong 2-channel amp. I'd leave the little 4-inch speakers in the back in place to possibly add some fill. I don't see myself ever adding a sub to this vehicle--there's no place to do so without interfering with the functionality, except for those little under-the-seat things that I doubt are worth the effort.

Alpine? Kenwood? Eclipse? Clarion? What should be the HU that I start with?

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing from you.:happy:

See less See more
#33 ·
I need to replace the DVD player from the headrest monitors I have. I was thinking about relocating it to the pocket under the HU. So while I'm there, I thought it would be a good time to upgrade the HU.

I was thinking of the Clarion unit as well. The PPI 356 sounds interesting also, I'm just curious on how much work I'll have to do. I have never gone for high end audio in a car before (although I have a nice set of Dynaudio's in the house). I feel scope creep coming on.

#34 ·
I made the jump. So far I have the following on order

-Clarion DXZ785USB - Refurb for $119 (hopefully I don't regret that).
-PAC SWIJACK Steering Wheel Remote Interface so I can keep the steering wheel controls
-XO Vision XO1488 DVD player for pocket below.

That should keep me busy while I figure out the rest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.