DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Haha I wouldn't bother trying to be cool to your kids. But if it ever gets tiresome, just take that Odyssey and smoke one of your kids' friend's ricer cars, and see how they like being slower than a minivan. The Honda is the coolest minivan on the planet. Be proud!
There is a guy here in town who was given an Odyssey minivan after he crashed his built and boosted lude. IIRC the Odyssey was a victim of the V6/Automatic w/Overdrive curse.

Anyhow, I know the mechanic who did the swap, and aside from cursing the cramped engine bay, the minivan runs the 1/4 in the high 13s.

Yeah, I got a teenager as well. Also cool factor goes up when your system is louder and better sounding than theirs!:D

Those odysseys are fast. Especially the newer ones. I used to Valet for a Honda dealership and we used one for shuttle. Oh man, I beat an RSX Type-S lol.

I'd say ...

Clarion DXZ785USB refurb ~$160
PPI 356Cs passive ~$135
www.sounddeadenershowdown.com front doors
USB2100/2150 from AudioClinic on ebay. <$100

done.

My pops got into car audio because of us kids. He stilll liked him music loud and old sounding. +cools pts for nice system -cool points for making it sound like a records and 8-tracks

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Yeah, the Odyssey can move when you need it to. My pet peeve is guys who drive right up your butt as you're entering or exiting an on/off ramp--mad that you're slowing them down. The suspension is good enough on the Odyssey that I can call upon the skills I picked up from a buddy who raced sports cars professionally and dust 'em, even if they're driving a car with a much lower center of gravity. (If you don't understand how to set a proper line through a curve, you'll be slow, even if you're driving a BMW.)

As for noise, the biggest improvement I've experienced is putting on a set of quiet tires--Pirelli P4s in my case. But any day now I'll have to put on the winter tires and the decibels will go back up. So yeah, soundproofing is definitely in the future!

mr.gone,
I started to measure and fab up a center console enclosure and it looks like you would easily be able to fit a downfiring 10" between the seats. Enclsoure volume looks to be approximately 1.2 cu. ft. if you work to max it out. I should end up with about .82 cu. ft. since I'm going to design the console to house an amplifier on each side. Most likely I'll put the two RE8s I have sitting around in it. I'll post up picks when it gets a little further along. I only had a couple hours to start on it today.

Hi mr.gone
I too am just re-entering the scene--and it's a lot more confusing now then it was when I was a kid! I've experimented with a couple of the Alpine hu's--one w/cd the other w/out--and had to stick with the cd for SQ. The ipod interface on the newer Alpines is about the best I've seen--but beware that they only mate with the newer ipods. If you have one of the older ones(mine was one of my teenager's cast-offs) the Alpine won't recognize it. Good luck and happy shopping!

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Thanks, Blind Pig. You're right--it is a lot more confusing. There are all sorts of speaker and amplifier brands out there that I never heard of; hard to guess what they sound like. Weird that the iPod compatibility would not apply to older models. Alpine and others must figure that older iPods stop working or are replaced, so why extend the compatibility beyond a couple of years?

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Have you had a chance to install your equipment yet? I have a 2000 ody and am considering the same.
No, it's been very cold here in Minnesota lately--I'd like to do it myself, so I'm seeing if we get a break in the weather. Just would install the Clarion HU that was recommended.

What are you thinking of getting?

I need to replace the DVD player from the headrest monitors I have. I was thinking about relocating it to the pocket under the HU. So while I'm there, I thought it would be a good time to upgrade the HU.

I was thinking of the Clarion unit as well. The PPI 356 sounds interesting also, I'm just curious on how much work I'll have to do. I have never gone for high end audio in a car before (although I have a nice set of Dynaudio's in the house). I feel scope creep coming on.

I made the jump. So far I have the following on order

-Clarion DXZ785USB - Refurb for $119 (hopefully I don't regret that).
-PAC SWIJACK Steering Wheel Remote Interface so I can keep the steering wheel controls
-XO Vision XO1488 DVD player for pocket below.

That should keep me busy while I figure out the rest.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.