DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Advice needed for ICE setup with JVC AVX HU/Infinity speakers/Alpine amp/Sub

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  sqshoestring 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I am a newbie here. Would like to get some help from the experts in this forum :)

I am planning to do the following setup in my car:
1) HU - JVC AVX 830/840
2) Front - Infinity Kappa 6.5" comps
3) Rear - Infinity Kappa 6x9
4) Mono Amp - Alpine MRP 500 (bought already)
5) 4 channel amp and sub - not decided yet.
6) Dynamat damping
7) Capacitor - Do I need one?

My choices for 4-channel amp are:
1) Kenwood KAC 8405 4-channel
2) Rockford R300-4 channel
3) Kicker 10ZX350 - 4 channel

Sub:
Infinity 1262W
RF Punch P2D212
Polk Momo - not sure about model number but in the same range
JBL 1100W
Ground Zero -

Questions:
1) WHich is better avx 830 or 840 and how?
2) Do I need a capacitor for the setup?
3) I like tight bass.. Which sub is known for that and which should I choose? Thinking of a closed encl for the sub.. SVC or DVC? what Sub's ohm rating is best for the Alpine MRP 500?
4) Which 4-channel amp?
5) Rear 6x9 or co-ax? I dont mind wasting space for 6X9 if it would be good..
6) I listen to AC/DC, Rock, hip-hop etc.... Would like a club kinda effect in my car..

Kindly pour in your expertise :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi guys,

I am a newbie here. Would like to get some help from the experts in this forum :)

I am planning to do the following setup in my car:
1) HU - JVC AVX 830/840
2) Front - Infinity Kappa 6.5" comps
3) Rear - Infinity Kappa 6x9
4) Mono Amp - Alpine MRP 500 (bought already)
5) 4 channel amp and sub - not decided yet.
6) Dynamat damping
7) Capacitor - Do I need one?
single word, no. spend your money on something usefull.

My choices for 4-channel amp are:
1) Kenwood KAC 8405 4-channel
2) Rockford R300-4 channel
3) Kicker 10ZX350 - 4 channel

Sub:
Infinity 1262W
RF Punch P2D212
Polk Momo - not sure about model number but in the same range
JBL 1100W
Ground Zero -

Questions:
1) WHich is better avx 830 or 840 and how?
2) Do I need a capacitor for the setup?

see above ;)
3) I like tight bass.. Which sub is known for that and which should I choose? Thinking of a closed encl for the sub.. SVC or DVC? what Sub's ohm rating is best for the Alpine MRP 500?
how the sub sounds will depend more on the enclosure than the sub itself. find one you like and make sure it is installed correctly :)
that amp is 2ohm stable. so make sure if you are getting a single sub it is SVC 2 ohms or a DVC 4
4) Which 4-channel amp?
5) Rear 6x9 or co-ax? I dont mind wasting space for 6X9 if it would be good..
unless you just want to, I would bother with a rear speaker.
6) I listen to AC/DC, Rock, hip-hop etc.... Would like a club kinda effect in my car..

Kindly pour in your expertise :)
that is what I know. someone else can fill in the rest :p

#4 ·
I used the old style infinity 12 in a box and IB. They like to play 'tight' bass they don't go under 40Hz unless you ask them. They are only 300rms, a pair would be better on the alpine but DVC 4 ohm is not going to be 2 ohms for a pair...you need 2 ohms final load to get the most from that amp. One was pretty loud on 300rms, but didn't go deep enough for me. Given it was in a 1.25cf box I'm sure it would have helped to be larger. Still quads IB liked to play high also, but had impressive output on only 420rms kicker. Not sure how it compares to the others, but it you like 'tight bass' it is a contender unless this new model is much different. Looking up the specs will tell you that.

If you want club sound I would put 6x9 in back, but if they are aimed at the front try putting some felt over the tweeter or something so you don't get treble from them in front, that will help, you want more midbass from them and only the highs for rear passengers mostly that are close to them.

Not sure on the amp but 75rms/ch minimum. I like kenwood and alpine and RF, at their respective prices. The amp matters less IMO than the rest. I had a kicker 700.5 and it went loud, the class D sub section was great, but I would not say the class AB 4ch section was the best. It went loud but would lose some SQ the last ~20% of output. It was only 4x70 likely I was overdriving it. Depends on how finicky you are I like amps that clip more abruptly and that one does not. Never had a problem with it in 3+yrs and it was mounted 1" from all four 12s on an IB baffle. Great amp otherwise, my take on it is all. Kenwoods are great cheap amps, I like alpines, I'm now running an Infinty kappa I got a deal on it works very nicely at 4x125rms and full class D along with a 350rms alpine sub amp, did have a 500rms. They are the older alpines with the digital controls. Cheaper amps can be less reliable and have bs ratings, I would not get anything cheaper than a kenwood.

If you get light dimming you can worry about a cap and/or a better battery. The cap will only help if you get a little dimming, lots of dimming means you need a larger alternator. You need a 4ga amp kit/wire depending on total power.

I recommend you browse around and see if you find any threads on equipment you listed, lots of great info already here. If you like a specific sound out of your sub I would look for reviews. There is a guy that will model you a box on here too, tuned how you like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.