DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, please forgive me as I am semi-new to this world, but am happy to learn as I go and join in. I am seeking a great sounding system, but not a competition SQL setup.

This install will take place in a 2010 Ford Fusion, which features 10 speakers(center dash 3.5”, sail tweets .75”, L+R front and rear 5x8, rear deck 6x9, and rear center 3.5”)

I am planning on deleting the 6x9’s as they carry low end bass, which I will have a single ported 15” to carry. Also planning on converting 5x8’s to 5-1/4, tweets will also become 1”.

My question is, if I were to mount the 5 1/4 in the door, and the tweets in the factory sail location(aligned to seat belt of opposite side) could I fix the imaging with T/A and possibly EQ? I would like this install to look factory, but also sound amazing. Another option I was looking into was running coax in the door and a pair of imaging tweets in the sails crossed at 8-10k? Which would be better?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my newb questions :(

Extra info:
Speakers: JL audio C5, C7 for 3.5” all managed with JL VXi 800/8i

·
Listener of Music
2,850 Posts
So what are you using for processing? If you something simple like a Dayton DSP I would eliminate the center channels and rear speakers and run a two way plus sub. 1" tweets sail and the 5 - 1/4 in the doors. A lot of times you can squeeze a 6.5 in the door without cosmetic alterations.

If your using Sony system only it's designed to use the center channels so I'd leave the front or you'll be missing information.

·
Premium Member
8,858 Posts
As Theslaking said, signal source is likely to be your fist and largest hurdle. I'm not familiar with the OE Ford system, but you really need to know what the factory signal is doing on each channel. If you have generally solid staging with an upmixer, piggybacking after the OE DSP amp can sometimes be an option. Or, you need to find a way to get a full range flat signal or bypass the OE system all together and you will have complete freedom to build up the system however you want.

To try and provide some general answers to your questions...

Yes, time alignment, EQ and level adjustment in your VXi amp can fix imaging. How does the stock system image though?

I would not run a coax in the door with an "imaging tweeter" in the sails. Stick with components.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello all, please forgive me as I am semi-new to this world, but am happy to learn as I go and join in. I am seeking a great sounding system, but not a competition SQL setup.

This install will take place in a 2010 Ford Fusion, which features 10 speakers(center dash 3.5”, sail tweets .75”, L+R front and rear 5x8, rear deck 6x9, and rear center 3.5”)

I am planning on deleting the 6x9’s as they carry low end bass, which I will have a single ported 15” to carry. Also planning on converting 5x8’s to 5-1/4, tweets will also become 1”.

My question is, if I were to mount the 5 1/4 in the door, and the tweets in the factory sail location(aligned to seat belt of opposite side) could I fix the imaging with T/A and possibly EQ? I would like this install to look factory, but also sound amazing. Another option I was looking into was running coax in the door and a pair of imaging tweets in the sails crossed at 8-10k? Which would be better?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my newb questions :(
So what are you using for processing? If you something simple like a Dayton DSP I would eliminate the center channels and rear speakers and run a two way plus sub. 1" tweets sail and the 5 - 1/4 in the doors. A lot of times you can squeeze a 6.5 in the door without cosmetic alterations.

If your using Sony system only it's designed to use the center channels so I'd leave the front or you'll be missing information.
I am using the VXi linr
As Theslaking said, signal source is likely to be your fist and largest hurdle. I'm not familiar with the OE Ford system, but you really need to know what the factory signal is doing on each channel. If you have generally solid staging with an upmixer, piggybacking after the OE DSP amp can sometimes be an option. Or, you need to find a way to get a full range flat signal or bypass the OE system all together and you will have complete freedom to build up the system however you want.

To try and provide some general answers to your questions...

Yes, time alignment, EQ and level adjustment in your VXi amp can fix imaging. How does the stock system image though?

I would not run a coax in the door with an "imaging tweeter" in the sails. Stick with components.
I will ditch the coax idea, as far as how the stock images, honestly like shit, the tweeters in the sails are aimed directly at each other, so I was planning on making custom pods to point to opposite b pillars.

I am also planning to semi bypass the OE, I was going to feed the VXi with the factory amp, assuming it will flatten the signal processing done to it, otherwise I will run the single into a processor beforehand and then to the VXi, I want a completely flat signal to work with

·
Premium Member
8,858 Posts
I am using the VXi linr

I will ditch the coax idea, as far as how the stock images, honestly like shit, the tweeters in the sails are aimed directly at each other, so I was planning on making custom pods to point to opposite b pillars.

I am also planning to semi bypass the OE, I was going to feed the VXi with the factory amp, assuming it will flatten the signal processing done to it, otherwise I will run the single into a processor beforehand and then to the VXi, I want a completely flat signal to work with
I don't know that the VXi can fix the signal on your OE amp. There might be others in here more familiar with the Ford Sony system and the VXi capabilities, but if you're stock system is using an upmixing algorithm and or a// pass filters, you might be in for a pretty big challenge.

And if you get to a completely flat signal and are using the VXi for tuning, I would personally skip the center channel.

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
I don't know that the VXi can fix the signal on your OE amp. There might be others in here more familiar with the Ford Sony system and the VXi capabilities, but if you're stock system is using an upmixing algorithm and or a// pass filters, you might be in for a pretty big challenge.

And if you get to a completely flat signal and are using the VXi for tuning, I would personally skip the center channel.
See if you can flatten the signal with FORscan, I don't know if it will help for your particular model, but look into it. People use it to get a flat fullrange signal from their Ford stereos.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

first question is: do aftermarket head units provide a full range signal via preouts ?

If I were to install a double din radio such as a kenwood, and feed front channels to all channels on the VXi, that would give me an untouched signal that I could further process and XO correct? This may be how I do it, I’ve read that sometimes the rear speaker preamps are XOd and processed

·
Premium Member
8,858 Posts
See if you can flatten the signal with FORscan, I don't know if it will help for your particular model, but look into it. People use it to get a flat fullrange signal from their Ford stereos.
gijoe is on the right track. I always forget about FORscan as I haven't owned a Ford product for quite a long time.

first question is: do aftermarket head units provide a full range signal via preouts ?

If I were to install a double din radio such as a kenwood, and feed front channels to all channels on the VXi, that would give me an untouched signal that I could further process and XO correct? This may be how I do it, I’ve read that sometimes the rear speaker preamps are XOd and processed
Yes. Any reputable brand aftermarket head unit will provide you the full range flat signal that you need.

·
Registered
11,959 Posts

I would also look into this. even if you have to make a small spacer, a 6.5" up front will make a world of difference in midbass.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay so what I have gathered so far is to go ahead and modify my door for a 6.5" component set, upgrade factory headunit, take front L-R preout into VXi, from there route input to all 8 channels output, then apply XO's and T/A, that will give me a basic system, until I can find a professional whom has experience tuning VXi amps.

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
I would run the front outputs, and the sub ouputs from the head unit. This will allow you to make adjustments to the sub from the head unit. At least while you tune the system it might prove helpful to be able to adjust the sub independently, and you won't be able to do that if you only run the front outputs from the head unit.

·
Listener of Music
2,850 Posts
I would still verify you can't get a flat signal from your head unit first. No need to do all the swapping if you don't need to.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Get a Pac-Audio AmpPro and connect your amp to that. I know it’s more money than reprogramming the ACM, but it‘s plug‘n‘play and gives you fullrange variable voltage outputs front and rear and a separate sub out which you probably don’t need when doing the processing with the VXi amp. With the AmpPro you could also do digital out to the VXi via optical out on the AmpPro.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts