DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a Toyota Camry. My installer built a sub box for me last year which houses a JL 12w6 that faces forward in the car - when I open the ski pass the cone is visible. The amp is a JL 1000/1.

I would like to install a JL 13w7 instead because it is stronger. The problem is that my trunk is too tight to face the 13w7 forward to look through the ski pass - so I have to find another position. I have the following design that I would like opinions on:

1 - Build a sealed box for the trunk where the cone faces the rear of the car. (This fits)

2 - Build a box for the trunk where the cone faces the rear of the car BUT is ported - the port coming through into the ski pass.

I understand that ports have to be designed a certain way and this is something I know little about. Will a simple horn type of opening on the box (coming into the ski pass) be a good idea or an I totally off the map here? Should I just go sealed an keep it simple?

My goal is maximum bass - I understand that sealed is more musical - if a ported design is possible, I would prefer it.

Any thoughts appreciated...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Go ported. Face the sub upwards and the port into one of the back corners.

Do NOT fire the port through the pass. It WILL sound like ass.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Okay, I now please have some mercy on me. I've been reading about band pass filters and the ports are all off to the side - not in the middle where the ski pass is. Considering the enormity of the 13w7, I am guessing that having the ports on the side versus through the ski pass will not matter much because the bass will be huge either way.

Would I be better off just going with a sealed design? Will a sealed box take up a lot less space? From reading about JL's designs, it looks like a single or dual box is going to be pretty big:

http://www.jlaudio.com/header/Support/Tutorials/Bandpass+Enclosure+Characteristics/Tutorial:+Bandpass+Enclosure+Characteristics/287538

·
Registered
97 Posts
Go ported. Face the sub upwards and the port into one of the back corners.

Do NOT fire the port through the pass. It WILL sound like ass.
why would it sound like ass if the sub and port(s) were firing through the skipass? i was under the impression vented enclosures sounded best with ports on axis?

something similar to this:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts