DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here's the problem, fellas. I, like many others, have noticed that my subs seem to play much cleaner, louder, deeper, with the windows rolled down. Also like many others, I'm looking for explanations or solutions on solving this issue, but so far to no avail. I obviously can't just leave my windows down all the time and since I can't defy the laws of physics :rolleyes: I need to find a way to work around them.

It seems the only way to eliminate cabin gain, or rather to keep it, is to somehow equalize the pressure between the cabin and the outside of the vehicle. The obvious solution is to create a vent. Right? But what's not so obvious is how to go about this in such a way that the interior is not subjected to the weather, increased noise, bugs and **** getting in, etc., any more than it would normally be.

And with that, I am open to any and all useful thoughts, concerns, ideas, words of encouragement, whatever you got.

Now, hit my Mission Impossible music!

·
Registered
237 Posts
ROOF SCOOP! A functional one. It'll look boss on your Accord. Not really. But really. It won't. But you should do it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
just curious....

Are your subs facing forward, playing into the seat backs?
If so, try facing them toward the rear bumper.

Might help (or fix the issue),,,,,might not.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
most cars already have vents in the rear of the car that vent to outside. this is mostly so that air can be pulled in from your heater/air conditioner. find those vents and take out the flap that closes them. just put some screen material over it so critters dont get in.

·
Registered
66 Posts
most cars already have vents in the rear of the car that vent to outside. this is mostly so that air can be pulled in from your heater/air conditioner. find those vents and take out the flap that closes them. just put some screen material over it so critters dont get in.
This thing has been bugging me for a while. My merc has one and I had really hard time to figure out what made that flapping and whoosing sound outside the car when bass was hitting.

Then I found that ventilation thing with moving flaps. I thought it was only there so you can close your trunk easily because of pressure difference. I taped that thing shut for good, and now all my doors are harder to close but no more flapping lol!

Not really a good solution so I need to do something better suited for everyday use. Maybe make some small holes on the flaps and prevent them opening, but still able to easily close doors and have proper ventilation.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
This thing has been bugging me for a while. My merc has one and I had really hard time to figure out what made that flapping and whoosing sound outside the car when bass was hitting.

Then I found that ventilation thing with moving flaps. I thought it was only there so you can close your trunk easily because of pressure difference. I taped that thing shut for good, and now all my doors are harder to close but no more flapping lol!

Not really a good solution so I need to do something better suited for everyday use. Maybe make some small holes on the flaps and prevent them opening, but still able to easily close doors and have proper ventilation.
just cut off the flaps and replace em with screen door screen. it will still ventilate and keep critters out.

you will find that that your fresh air fan will move more air this way too. since the fresh air fan pulls air from the outside-in. if there is no way for the air inside the car to get out, it cant effectively pull more air in.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
have you tried IB? i think you'll like IB from what it sounds like. it's the cleanest most natural bass ive ever heard, kinda tricky to pull off, can be hard. can be easy. you really only need to make sure your trunk is sealed off from the front of the car, so that any air behind the sub is segmented from the air from the front of the sub. it'll be rather easy, the easiest mount is to just do a backboard behind your rear seat and drop the sub in, some people go as far as to cut a hole into the arm rest that some cars have so that when its flipped down it's vented.

·
Registered
66 Posts
just cut off the flaps and replace em with screen door screen. it will still ventilate and keep critters out.

you will find that that your fresh air fan will move more air this way too. since the fresh air fan pulls air from the outside-in. if there is no way for the air inside the car to get out, it cant effectively pull more air in.
But I'm somewhat basshead and I like the feeling when 20Hz begins to shake my body. Will I lose some output this way because more air is now espacing to outside, rather than getting into cabin (which is already damn hard in sedan car)?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I cant predict that. it is posible that it will tune the car to a lower freq and actually play lower. take off the tape and hold the flaps open with something and see if that is something you want to make permanent. if not tape em back up and you have only lost an hour and $.50 of tape :p

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Lot of carts vent into the trunk then outside behind the bumpers. See if you can mod those vents, or some are one way try taping them open. You could install more of them in your doors, but if you have IB door speakers that might not be good. Could put more in the trunk. Could go as far as modding the door seals at the bottom to leak somehow, maybe textured tape on the seal surface or something I don't know what would not make noise or create a draft. You could also vent into the kicks, but make sure you don't get a big inflow of air there.

·
Registered
510 Posts
where are these so called "flaps" generally located? i've read aboot them on this forum several a time, but never really understood what exactly was going on with them.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
ussualy automakers put them under the bumper cover. to find em, just remove the trunk area covering. you will see em plain as day.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Most of the time you can remove/pull back the trunk carpet or trim on the sides and see them down low behind the rear tires. In trucks they often put them in the bottom rear corner of the doors. In some cars you can find them in the back of the door, under the latch assembly will be a finned grill. Lot of cars vent through the rear deck into the trunk, through simple holes, so then most of the interior is vented out the trunk vents. Of course a truck cab does not have those usually so they use the doors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts