DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got my FR-S last weekend and absolutely love this car. The only thing is that the road noise is unbearably loud (I used to think an Impreza was noisy, until I got this car). The stock speakers are also some of the worst I've heard. For someone who's used to B&W speakers and AKG headphones, I decided that the FR-S’s audio needed some serious work. Found a lot of wisdom on this forum that brought me to Don’s impeccable site at Sound Deadener Showdown.

After measuring my car, looks like I’m gonna be spending about $800 on soundproofing materials and $800 on amp/speaker/sub. I would like your feedback on the setup and whether it'll give good SQ before I order the parts.

Audio
Amp: Precision Power P900.4
Speaker: JBL MS-62C
Sub: JL Audio 10W3v3-2

Soundproofing
Doors
Roof
Floor
Front quarter panel
Rear quarter panel + wheel well
Rear license plate
Rear deck
Rear seat

Some questions come to mind. Is the Precision Power P900.4 is enough to drive both the sub and the speakers? Are there better amps/speakers/subs around the same price range? Where to place the sub? Trunk or rear deck? How would you spend a $2000 budget?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I would go with a JL Audio HD900/5. I am pretty much in the same situation you are, my 'new' to me CRX is loud as hell. Why spend $800 on sound proofing materials? I've spent roughly $500 (probably because my car is a lot smaller, more compact than yours?) on deadening/sound proofing materials. 100 sq ft of FatMat Rattletrap $200, 36 sqft SecondSkin Luxury Liner Pro $180, and 1 gallon of SecondSkin Spectrum Sludge $80. I really can't comment on the fatmat yet, because I just started earlier this afternoon and only the drivers side door was completed. So far so good, it is a nice thud now, compared to the passenger's side which sounds like a tin can. No smell, works just as good, if not better (not gooey) than Raamat BXT, which I've used in previous installs.
I'm not familiar with the FR-S, so maybe someone else can help you on sub placement.

**edit**

btw, I think 50 sqft is enough to do my entire car; doors, roof, floor, hatch/trunk. Note, I am not using that "25%" rule, I am using my own, which is 80-95% coverage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
amp should be fine
putting a sub in the rear deck requires a lot of work or you will introduce more rattles...

look in the build log this is a popular car for modders you will get some ideas-
on what other builders have done

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would go with a JL Audio HD900/5.
I was also looking at the HD900 but didn't want to risk it killing brand new speakers as some reviewers on Amazon pointed out.

btw, I think 50 sqft is enough to do my entire car; doors, roof, floor, hatch/trunk. Note, I am not using that "25%" rule, I am using my own, which is 80-95% coverage.
It does look like we're in the same situation, but my doors and floors alone are 70 sqft! I am quite surprised you can pull it off with 50 sqft with 80% coverage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
amp should be fine
putting a sub in the rear deck requires a lot of work or you will introduce more rattles...

look in the build log this is a popular car for modders you will get some ideas-
on what other builders have done
You're right, most folks on the modsforums seem to put their sub in the trunk. But that means I have to soundproof the trunk instead of just the seats. You think the sub will rattle the trunk lid? if so, i might have to treat the trunk lid regardless of the sub placement.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I was also looking at the HD900 but didn't want to risk it killing brand new speakers as some reviewers on Amazon pointed out.
Or check out Alpine's PDX-V9, a whole lot cheaper than JL's 900/5, and can do 1ohm mono for sub out.

It does look like we're in the same situation, but my doors and floors alone are 70 sqft! I am quite surprised you can pull it off with 50 sqft with 80% coverage.
I'll soon find out. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
699 Posts
You're right, most folks on the modsforums seem to put their sub in the trunk. But that means I have to soundproof the trunk instead of just the seats. You think the sub will rattle the trunk lid? if so, i might have to treat the trunk lid regardless of the sub placement.
The heat shield above the muffler will rattle more than the trunk. The trunk only needs a few pieces of mat to deaden it. I would also suggest deading the the panel under the third brake light, makes a big difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts