DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my Dyn 162 and 142 front stage to make room for the Esotar 650 and 430. The 102 tweeter is staying. I have a couple more days until the Esotar stuff gets here so just for fun I set the MS8 up for a 2-way front with only tweeters and the two 15s. The 15s are playing from 20hz to 2,200hz and the tweeters from 2,200hz and up.

I expected this to sound awful, it was really done just for the heck of it. To my disbelief it does not sound bad. By not bad I mean I've heard factory systems that sounded much worse. Amazingly the IB15s have no issues with female vocals. There's no "hole" in the frequency response, a good bit of the midbass and midrange detail is still there. Again, I've heard worse midrange detail in some factory systems than with these 15s. If you were the average Joe and heard this system, it would probably sound better than average.

There are major issues of course. It's *slightly* directional lol. The subs are pretty easy to locate although it's not as bad as you would imagine at 2.2khz. That nasal sound that I'm sure many have heard when playing a sub really high is not there. These actually have acceptable SQ. I played some Alicia Keys to get a good taste of vocals and it's almost funny to turn around where her voice is coming from and see a pair of 15s staring at you. They remain punchy and do a mean snare drum.

No real point to this, just wanted to share this odd bit of info.

I'm guessing this is due to John's work with super low inductance...

Almost forgot, I set it up for the center as well which is a 6.5" and tweeter. With the center on, it adds a little body but surprisingly little else. All of my testing was with the center off for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I just bought 2 AE IB15s. Hope I can install them :D

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Very interesting, & thanks for sharing. Here within the next week I'm gonna reset my P01 & start over with my settings. I think I'll try something similar to this just for the hell of it. Although I know mine won't play near that high since they're facing the taillights.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
SWEET...

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
...I'm guessing this is due to John's work with super low inductance...
You got it, Its the Lambda motor at work! The Le on those subs is about .163mH. It helps a great deal with nonlinear distortion....but allows a sub to play higher than one would think. Good if one needed a high crossover point 120-150Hz etc..

·
Registered
3,033 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
I think he waited a couple days or weeks...right Matt? haha

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I'd love to turn around and see Alicia Keys in my back seat :surprised:

Lowpass mine at 125Hz/36dB all day, every day, and it's fantastic.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Next thing you guys will be running 6x9 with them back there....:laugh::D:D

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
If I were to pillar-mount these puppies with a pair of wide-banders, would they play better on-axis or off-axis?:eek:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I have the (3)12" version of these ...simply amazing drivers!

·
Registered
898 Posts
I'm buying them new, I bought the older version, not the new since I need it to be light in my car. 4 week wait time for now, and then well see how much more after that.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I'm buying them new, I bought the older version, not the new since I need it to be light in my car. 4 week wait time for now, and then well see how much more after that.
Please keep us posted on this. Sometimes I get an urge to order a pair of the newer version for comparison.

·
Registered
834 Posts
^ Fish...I want to hear those IB15's to see what BuickGN has been raving about lol

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
^ Fish...I want to hear those IB15's to see what BuickGN has been raving about lol
Sure thing. I'm gonna try to retune this weekend in preparation for the meet on October 29th at Aho's. Are you coming up?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts