DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i have tried multiple times trying to find out how to figure out aero porting.

I understand the psp calculator tells you how long to make each port but.....

how do you figure out how big to make the port? does winisd do a good enough job for it?

i'll be using 4 SSA Dcon 10 or 12s ported using aero ports to take up less space and a cleaner look. Plus, aero ports are more efficient(?) i've been told.

Any help would be great.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
What do you mean by "how big" to make them? Are you referring to surface area, length, or tuning frequency?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm talking about diameter. should it be 3", 4", 5" or 6". i think i get it but i'm not sure.

a 1 cubic foot box should have 12-16 square inches of port for a slotted port. is it the same for using an aero?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I built a box this summer with an aeroport and had to put a 90° elbow in how do you measure that for your port length? Im pretty sure I went by the center length.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread just thought it was kinda relevant so I would ask here instead of starting a new thread

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it is. thats a great question but as you notice. lots of people look at this but not many people are helping

122 views and only 4 comments

·
Registered
55 Posts
the diameter question is easy, you just calculate the necessary area and figure out whether you can use one round port or if several smaller ones will work better. Here is the math: Area of a Circle

As for the question of angles in the ports, the answer is that it will depend on the radius of the angles and their effect on the tuning frequency. Generally, it is such a variable that it is impossible to calculate without building the proposed port and sweeping it to determine its true tuning frequency. A better plan is to build your box so that you do not need to create angles on the ports, or, if possible without incurring port noise, go with a smaller diameter port of a shorter length. Port length for a given tuning frequency increases with port diameter.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks man, thats what i though but never got a real answer. My main problem is that it is an 8 cube box i will be building for a buddy and wants it tuned to 33hz. to get the right tuning and size aero port, it needs to 90 degree angle up and go about 3-5 more inches depending on the "length" of the 90 degree. i'll figure it out and do testing when done

1 - 7 of 7 Posts