DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About a year ago, I decided to try down-firing my subwoofer and found that I loved it. It reduced trunk rattle and just gave a more invisible presence though slightly reduced output. Well I don't use my trunk for cargo, ever, so I don't keep an eye on things. Awhile back I got a new battery and put my old one in there and forgot about it. The weight of the battery caused the carpet to end up scrunching directly under the sub and looks like the sub was touching the scrunched-up carpet. The surround has torn/separated in a small area around the cone. I'm not even mad. Just sad. This IDMAX12 (v2, the better looking one) has been the best and longest-living investment in my system (about 20 years). I bought it slightly used from Chadillac back from the early or pre-diyma days when ECA was the cool kids hangout.

I really wanted to try one of those Acoustic Elegance 18IBAU subs installed to the trunk floor like Peter from PSSound did here, but I don't really have the tools or ability to do that myself and no audio shop wants to install something they aren't selling (understandably), so I may just buy another IDMAX12. IDK yet.

/shrug just felt like sharing.

· Registered
1,389 Posts
That’s a bummer, sorry to hear. You might try contacting ID to see if they can fix it. They might at least be able to put the carbon fiber cone into a v4 chassis (I know Matt B was building frankensubs with v2 cones and v4 soft parts for a short run).

I looked for another v2 for a long time and had no luck, ended up with 2x d2 v2s and a d2 v3. Lots of v3’s are starting to come available and they are backwards compatible with v4 recons kits.

· Registered
1,626 Posts
Nooooooo! One of the most beautiful subs ever.

· Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here is the surround. Also the tinsel leads wire wore through some parts of the spider from so much use! It was incredibly hard to get a pic of it with my phone, but I tried. The polyfill is peppered in black spider debris.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.