DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I install an aftermarket stereo in a hybrid Camry? Nothing crazy but would want amps, components, subwoofers; maybe 600ish watts rms? Would like to keep stock HU with PAC kit and level signal with 4x8 DSP.

Reactions: JohnnyOhh

· Registered
2,054 Posts
You could but replacing the headunit will make a significant improvement in SQ.. More so than adding that dayton DSP. Unfortunately the factory headunits in this generation Camry have very poor signal quality... that a DSP just can not correct for (noise floor, poor dynamic range, poor stereo seperation).
I have a 2015 XLE that came with the Non JBL Nav and the biggest difference was realized when it was replace. All the factory functions for the car remained intact by using an Idatalink Maestro RR.

Reactions: Turb0Yoda

· Registered
1,157 Posts
You could but replacing the headunit will make a significant improvement in SQ.. More so than adding that dayton DSP. Unfortunately the factory headunits in this generation Camry have very poor signal quality... that a DSP just can not correct for (noise floor, poor dynamic range, poor stereo seperation).
I have a 2015 XLE that came with the Non JBL Nav and the biggest difference was realized when it was replace. All the factory functions for the car remained intact by using an Idatalink Maestro RR.
So you have the pioneer amp then? And it was that bad?

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
@Truthunter Okay, I will consider replacing the head unit then. I also realize I need to update my equipment in my sig. I just traded my Escape for a Camry so all my old equipment is moving over. You are correct about the Dayton DSP. Trading out the American Bass active crossover for the Dayton DSP.

My main concern is will the hybrid electrical system be able to keep up with this system or am I going to run into issues?

@Granite Not sure if that was directed at me but I haven't had any problems with my Pioneer amps.

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks @Irishklover Okay, add in any recommendations for a Pioneer double DIN HU too to my other question of if the electrical can handle it?

· Registered
2,054 Posts
So you have the pioneer amp then? And it was that bad?
The entune premium with Nav (non-jbl) did not come with an external factory amp and the factory headunit was manufactured by Fujitsu... which I believe is in all the 2015-2017 Camrys.

· Registered
1,157 Posts
  • The entune premium with Nav (non-jbl) did not come with an external factory amp and the factory headunit was manufactured by Fujitsu... which I believe is in all the 2015-2017 Camrys.
    They shut down entune for Lexus. Yeah that sucks everything was powered by the Fujitsu - the pioneer in Lexus cars and the older Camrys sends a clean high level. All the crossover stuff is done at the drivers.

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My concern and the reason I am asking and started this post is I have heard from different sources that Hybrids are bad platforms for car audio and the added draw from a stereo system can contribute to a shorter overall battery life for Hybrid vehicles. Crutchfield has an entire article recommending against hybrid installs and recommends no more than 350 total watts. That's the only reason I am so adamant about asking this?

· Registered
301 Posts
A big speaker system in a gas car will reduce fuel economy. The power has to come from somewhere after all, so it should be of no surprise increased power draw causes increased energy consumption.

The hangup with an electric vehicle and standard 12volt car audio is the power regulator you're tapping into to feed your 12v gear. If you directly tapped the battery of like a chevy bolt into a suitable power converter you could be running 80kw of amplifier in that car as long as the battery isn't one of the recalled ones. You wouldn't be able to go very fast while rattling your fillings out, but....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.