·
Premium Member
827 Posts
You will love them as I do mine:)

Rick

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
I would think the copper foil would be heavier and thus dramatically effect the upper end response, but that is just a wild hair up my arse guess, lol!

How about some gold foil next, would have to be an alloy, maybe gold, silver and some platinum with a bit of berilium for fun, ok, J/K.

I would be interesting to hear how they sound with different materials though:)

Rick

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
these things are god awful heavy lol

fabbin them into the a pillars

my first fiberglass attempt hope they dont suck to bad lol

this glassing stuff is not as bad as I thought

just a little scary cutting into a panel form a 30k 2004 car

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ahhh man I forgot about this thread lol

I installed them and then took em out and sold em

they are SWEET, that goes without saying Im sure, but they jsut were not my type of hype thats all

they create a VERy wide stage (better than any dome I have used), smooth from 2500 up no breakup at all

ran them off 50W (100w @ 4ohm) and they were able to run full volume off my 8454 with no breakup at all

I dont what the deal was as I had them aimed perfect but for some reason I had to boost them at 8k and 13k to get the symbals, high hats and synthesized sound to come in the way i like

maybe my "perfect" was not inline with listening HT enough. so if you use these I would double check this with a laser pointer and then check it again

thougth I was crazy so I had a bud of mine come over and tune with me (he has a better ear than I do ) and we both came to the same conclusion

heres a thread

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=146

maybe 10kv.., npdang and raamaudio can help better with their overall opinion

the build qaulity is excellent!!, but the ribbon material is very delicate, as one of mine actually arrived not so pretty--look real close at the picture I posted youll see what I mean--that was right when I got them as I was soo excited to get them lol

it worked fine though and they sounded the same so who knows if small dmage tothe ribbon makes a "audible sound degradation????

would I recommend them--sure, as they are all they are cracked up to be, but for me personally I was not BLOWN away by them

and for all the work,and cost it just wasnt really worth it to me

I bet the guy who bought them from me will love them Im sure as he got a GREAT DEAL

if you like smooooth then I doubt there is any tweeter better

I found that I prefer the sound of the lpgs crossed at 4k, and my mids playing up to 4k

who knows why that seemed better in my car. my dash it waaaay long, and my mids are low in the stock holes, but the lpgs I had just hit those high hats, symbals, and synthesized sounds better to me

in every other area the the lcy ribbons are waaaaay better

by going back to compact domes you give up a LOT in stage width though

maybe Ill try a big face tweet now since I have these huge apillars with a 4.5" baffle on them lol

maybe with more tuning time they would have come alive more

here's the a pillars uninstalled

http://photobucket.com/albums/v693/newtitan/?action=view&current=IMG_4112.jpg

I have taken the leather off of them now as I have to redo the baffle (arrrgh )

good luck

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Ah well can't say the price wasn't right :)

You could've easily sold them on ebay and made a buck, but thanks for giving back to the community and passing them on at a fantastic price!

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nah man your price was SWEET!!

jsut wish they worked better for me since I spent so much fab time on them

oh well I learned a new skill :)

and I always try to give people a forum break vs ebay

I gave that dude a smokin deal lol just hope he likes them

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.