DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running a Pure i-20 home audio dock optical into my BitTen as my only source. I love the dock but came across a write up a few days ago about Apple's AirPlay that I peaked my interest and wondered if anyone has done it before with good results.

Take an airport express, modify it to accept 5v to have it run off USB, or 12v to directly wire it in.
Run a 3.5 to Toslink optical cable from the APE audio jack to my BitTen.
Configure my iPhone to connect to the WiFi network for AirPlay purposes but still look to cellular for data.

Seems to be a great idea in theory, bit perfect wireless audio all the way to the processor's DAC with wireless N range! The only worry I have is boot up time of the APE but that isn't too big of a deal.

Anyone got any experience with this type of setup?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump, Anyone used something like this before?

·
Registered
804 Posts
I enjoy the AirPlay portion of my home network for my whole house audio but I'd like to see it work in a car. I would try to work it out with some sort of a hard drive so that you could just use the phone to control it with the remote app. That way you could have your entire library in the car.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've been thinking about this for a while too. I really like the convenience of airplay. A power inverter instead of modifying the power supply might be easier?

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
I've been thinking about this for a while too. I really like the convenience of airplay. A power inverter instead of modifying the power supply might be easier?
On the contrary, Airplay is the most inconvenient.

-Ungodly device boot up and sync times for this day and age.
-No device charging.
-Complex or expensive powering options.
-Airplay option selection each and every time you get in the car. Adds another 5-10 sec. to the boot time depending on how fast you realize the thing has finish powering up and giving the sync option.

Did I forget anything?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I don't get the fascination with it. Sure I was one of the first to ever mention it on here, but that was before there was any other option, wired or not. But now the only difference, and I won't call it a benefit, is that you have a wireless source. Great!, you can stand outside your car and enjoy your system. :rolleyes::confused:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Get a kivic one

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm running a Pure i-20 home audio dock optical into my BitTen as my only source. I love the dock but came across a write up a few days ago about Apple's AirPlay that I peaked my interest and wondered if anyone has done it before with good results.

Take an airport express, modify it to accept 5v to have it run off USB, or 12v to directly wire it in.
Run a 3.5 to Toslink optical cable from the APE audio jack to my BitTen.
Configure my iPhone to connect to the WiFi network for AirPlay purposes but still look to cellular for data.

Seems to be a great idea in theory, bit perfect wireless audio all the way to the processor's DAC with wireless N range! The only worry I have is boot up time of the APE but that isn't too big of a deal.

Anyone got any experience with this type of setup?
I ordered the step down converter from 12v to 7v if I recall to do this but have not had the chance yet. I am trying to do the same thing myself.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I did it in my truck, had the APE and ATV for video purposes. It was kinda neat at first but the novelty wore off quick. As mentioned, it is cumbersome and a pain to connect to all the time. I tore it all out a while back and went with the Mosconi 6to8 with the BT streaming card. Definitely much happier.

I must be in the minority though, I want a wireless connection and prefer to use my idevice to control the music. I find wires/docks cumbersome, plus I don't like charging my devices only partially, I find my batteries last longer when they are charged to full capacity as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I didnt feel like going with AirPlay after hearing some of the responses on here. So I found out that Bluetooth had made some strides lately and picked up a receiver that has optical output and adapted it to work on 12v. And I have to say, while Bluetooth still doesnt have the best bandwidth, I am very surprised with the results. On my high bitrate lossless tracks, there is a slight hint of compression there, but for your standard 320kbps MP3's and the like, Bluetooth is now a viable option, IMO.

Satechi Bluetooth Music Receiver with NFC and HD atpX for smartphones, tablets, music devices, Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, S2 / iPhone 5, 4S, 4 / iPad Mini, 3, 2, 1

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts