DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two nights ago, someone tried to break into my F150. My Pioneer sub and in-dash DVD player were the obvious targets. I didn't hear a thing, but fortunately my sister's dog and my dad are light sleepers, and the barking and porch light scared them off and left me with just a destroyed lock cylinder and door handle.

I'm replacing the door handle with one without a lock cylinder, and installing Jimmi Jammers on both door handles, and I've been looking into an alarm system. I know it won't likely stop anyone when I'm at a store or at work, but it might be helpful at home.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
Also get a blackvue 650 dash cam with power magic pro adapter.

It records while car is parked or driving, has motion sensors and shock sensors to time stamp video with event logs.

I busted a crackhead who stole my iPods from my car with my dash cams. He is doing 18 months in prison now. The police were very thankful for my video evidence because this guy had been on a spree in the neighborhood for a while but never got caught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would get an alarm, installed by a proper place. I see too may where shits very accessible and anyone who breaks in and looks under the dash can cut the siren or disable. Ask the shop t see their work. Alarm is only as good as the install. Compustar also has a dash cam the DASH. Front and rear facing camera with either always on (you set it) shock recording or motion recording ("rewinds" and gets the reason for the trigger)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would get an alarm, installed by a proper place. I see too may where shits very accessible and anyone who breaks in and looks under the dash can cut the siren or disable. Ask the shop t see their work. Alarm is only as good as the install. Compustar also has a dash cam the DASH. Front and rear facing camera with either always on (you set it) shock recording or motion recording ("rewinds" and gets the reason for the trigger)
I used to install alarms also, many moons ago, but the install is VERY important.
You can get systems with paging apps for phones and the like, but if you can see wires hanging or exposed, it isn't very secure.
That being said, if somebody really wants your vehicle or stereo, there is always a way. A flatbed comes to mind.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I used to install alarms also, many moons ago, but the install is VERY important.
You can get systems with paging apps for phones and the like, but if you can see wires hanging or exposed, it isn't very secure.
That being said, if somebody really wants your vehicle or stereo, there is always a way. A flatbed comes to mind.
What about GPS Tracking? It is effective in catching thieves?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I too am also considering an alarm. Are they really that complicated to install? A local shop wanted $400(CDN) to install a Python system, so here I am doing my homework! lol

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
My thoughts on alarms are if you think you need one, odds are you do.

·
Registered
116 Posts
GPS tracking does work. Just had a friend of a colleague have their car stolen. Police tracked it down. Got car and perps.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not all installs are created equal. I would ask to see their work and know what they use for connections. Complicated? Not if you know how it works. But if you don't and then someone's not working or your brain and/or wires are exposed or easily accessible hen there's no point and you'll be stuck and have no idea how to trouble shoot. Everything is gravy until it doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
GPS tracking does work. Just had a friend of a colleague have their car stolen. Police tracked it down. Got car and perps.
happened to a local wheel shop. They often keep high end cars on their showroom (phantom, aventador, enzo, etc) I'm not sure what cars if any of the ones I listed where stolen, however, they were all recoverd hella quick due to gps tracking.

I'm thinking they just stole one of the shops vans though and a ton of wheels. The owner joked on his facebook that they didn't even steal matching wheels.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ref: the dash cams ...
Does it stream the video to a remote location, your cell phone ?... what stops the thief from just stealing the camera? How does this work?

Good deterrents ! Car protected by alarm, cams and GPS!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
If you park outside at home, your best bet is a couple cameras on your property pointing at the driveway or where you park your car. That will be more helpful when your car is gone. Get a recorder with enough space for a few months of high quality recording. I would put a couple aiming down the street in each direction as well.

This will protect your car and home. If you live in a apartment, you can still set something up with 1 or 2 wireless cams, but the other alternatives above are good options in that case.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My thoughts on alarms are if you think you need one, odds are you do.
Odds are you will wind up somewhere were there are thieves! lol Some will even stalk you to get your system! My thinking is if it doesn`t stop the theft, maybe it will help catch the thief!

Some insurance companies give discounts for having alarm systems installed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is my choice for a DVR, well this or 1 of the higher end ones CrimeStopper offers ..crimestopper.com/products/safetyplus/dvr-systems/ubb4cq.html
You can add any of their cameras to it and it can handle up to 4 cameras and has a built in mic so you can hear as well as see.
As for alarms, they have the SP-302 which has the LCD screen on the remote or go with the SP-502 and be able to remote start your vehicle at the same time.
Installation is key to all of this. you can put the greatest most expensive alarm in the world into a vehicle but if it wasn't installed properly then it doesn't matter.

Also there is a difference between an alarm system and a security system. An alarm system is usually not difficult to find in the vehicle as it is usually mounted under the dash near the steering column. A security system is completely hidden and the main unit is almost never near the steering column. These types of installs will cost much more as they are more involved. When these are done you shouldn't know that anything was actually installed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alarm worked.

Last Wednesday someone tried again. Alarm woke me up and I got out there before they got anything, but not before they did $3500 worth of damage to the door, the window, the dash, and the Pioneer head unit trying to pry it out of the dash. (State Farm has been awesome though, they're even shipping me a better head unit than I had because Pioneer discontinued the one I was using.) They had to resort to shattering the window because Jimmi Jammers (which I installed after the previous attempt) kept them from just knocking in the lock cylinder and opening the door like they did last time.

They had my CB radio and my Ryobi One+ car charger and batteries out of my console and on the front seat, but they left them and ran off when I turned on the porch light.

I think I'm going to upgrade to an alarm that has a glass break sensor and adjust the sensitivity up some more.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Some one really wants your stuff. Go for a glass break and a field sensor. Will you get false trips? Probably. Will it save you from dealing with this again? Probably.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Unfortunately if they want it they'll get it. Maybe you can run out in time and get some Kung fu on them. May be advantageous to get surveillance cams where you park and get their LP or face.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Unfortunately if they want it they'll get it. Maybe you can run out in time and get some Kung fu on them. May be advantageous to get surveillance cams where you park and get their LP or face.
I agree with this 100%. Nothing in your vehicle worth losing your life over never know what they're carrying now days.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts