DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Alarm worked.

Last Wednesday someone tried again. Alarm woke me up and I got out there before they got anything, but not before they did $3500 worth of damage to the door, the window, the dash, and the Pioneer head unit trying to pry it out of the dash. (State Farm has been awesome though, they're even shipping me a better head unit than I had because Pioneer discontinued the one I was using.) They had to resort to shattering the window because Jimmi Jammers (which I installed after the previous attempt) kept them from just knocking in the lock cylinder and opening the door like they did last time.

They had my CB radio and my Ryobi One+ car charger and batteries out of my console and on the front seat, but they left them and ran off when I turned on the porch light.

I think I'm going to upgrade to an alarm that has a glass break sensor and adjust the sensitivity up some more.
You can just add a DEI 509U ultrasonic sensor to your existing alarm. The glass break sensor is a bit redundant in my opinion because as soon as you break the glass, the ultrasonic sensor will trigger. In my opinion, a better deterrent is a microwave field sensor with a warn away function. It totally kills a thief's confidence and sends them the message that this car is different when it starts beeping before they even touch it. I'm hooking a relay between my microwave sensor and dash cam so that it starts recording as soon as the warn away is triggered. That's all uploaded to the house via wifi too so I can just check what's going on out there from my PC.

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
Get a dash camera. That way you have evidence for law enforcement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I'd look into getting one, but people need to take account that nowadays people are setting factory alarms off all the time.. 15 years ago when you heard an alarm you had an inclination that someone was trying to break into someone's car, nowadays people just figure it's some Celine old woman setting it off.. And don't really even pay attention.

If you do get one its best to get one with a pager, or that has an app to ring your phone and keep a Glock along side your bed..

·
Registered
662 Posts
I would do both. A alarm and a dash cam. I have the compustar remote start with alarm and there lcd with 2 way key fob has a 3 mile range and will page remote and show you what is happening like if they open the drivers door the remote will tell you and the dash cam is for all the stupid drivers out there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would do both. A alarm and a dash cam. I have the compustar remote start with alarm and there lcd with 2 way key fob has a 3 mile range and will page remote and show you what is happening like if they open the drivers door the remote will tell you and the dash cam is for all the stupid drivers out there.
What model is that? Yeah the dash cam pays off when it comes to liability for an accident or traffic violations. The problem is that it doesn't record the interior. You just get a front and sometimes rear view. Those cameras also have small lenses and aren't very good in low light conditions. The most you could probably hope for is audio when it comes to a break-in. The point is, they don't replace real surveillance.

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
What model is that? Yeah the dash cam pays off when it comes to liability for an accident or traffic violations. The problem is that it doesn't record the interior. You just get a front and sometimes rear view. Those cameras also have small lenses and aren't very good in low light conditions. The most you could probably hope for is audio when it comes to a break-in. The point is, they don't replace real surveillance.

The car burglar who is doing 18 months in prison as the result of my dash cam videos might disagree with you.

·
Banned
8,731 Posts
The car burglar who is doing 18 months in prison as the result of my dash cam videos might disagree with you.
He`ll get out in 9 and kill you or burn down your house with family inside.
Move out when you have time. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Put some rattle snakes in the truck and leave the doors unlocked. Knew a old timer that had a rattler in his toolbox in bed on his truck. He never kept any tools in it. Just a well fed snake:)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts