DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!

Im starting with new personal SQ build in Alfa Romeo GT.
Equipment list:
Source:
- undecided, probably modded Clarion HX or Pioneer ODR as CD transport + digital player or tablet
Front system
  • Midbas - 2 pairs JBL C660 GTI in ported doorpanel enclosures
  • Midrange - Hybrid Audio Technologies L4SE (optional JBL 400 GTI)
  • Tweeter - JBL TC 25 Titanium
Subs:
- 2 x JBL W15 GTI (probably in sealed enclosure due to space limitations)
Processor:
-Helix DSP Pro
Amps:
- Brax X2000 and X2400
-JBL/CROWN BPX2200.1
Cables:
Acessories: Audison fuse blocks, Brax voltmeters, Brax IPC1F + 2 x 2F, Helix Power Station
DLS, Dietz twisted and shielded, QED Silver Anniversary bi-amping, Kimber, Esoteric audio.
Damping
- Silent coat
A couple of pics of car:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I started with build of a-pillars
rings were drawn and cut on CNC and then chamfered behind the driver cutout and also in front.

T-nuts were added

Terrter will be held by neo magnets - 4 pc for each tweet

Before start, rings were soaked with poliester resin. This asure that bond with filler and MDF will be as strong as possible and wont crack where two materials meet.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pillars were stripped down, sanded, drilled a bunch of holes in and covered in three layers of rowing/mat and trimmed.

taped off back side of pillar

after fiberglass was applied

back side of pillar will recieve additional layer of fiberglass to create a Sanwich of Fiberglass/ABS/Fiberglass

a part of pillar at the bottom is without fiberglass applyed

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
next stage in fabrication was to create molds of the dash, which will serve as bottom part of the pillar enclosure.
Car was protected with alu tape and painters tape.....

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pulled out of the car and trimmed

Drawn some lines for design and ventilation opening

Made a template for shape of this bottom part

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
LBAudio,

I LOVE seeing your builds...PARTICULARLY the lovely dual ported midband enclosures you gravitate towards...
which are so inspiring that one day I may have to attempt them myself!!!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Next task was to mold together this bottom part and pillar

A mix or resin and filler with strands were used to make milkshake which were used to "glue" this two parts together

Large opening on the pillar was created to obtain enough unobstructed air-flow under the dash. All original pillar fastening spots were preserved

Rings positioned and aimed

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LBAudio,

I LOVE seeing your builds...PARTICULARLY the lovely dual ported midband enclosures you gravitate towards...
which are so inspiring that one day I may have to attempt them myself!!!
Thanks man! The doors from previous system will be reused, since doorcards are the same in both cars. The goal is to make pillars with similar design, so the theme remain the same, the same will also be a painting scheme - Black semi mat textured and silver metallic gloss.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now fun with designing begins

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Inside walls were all smoothed out

design arround ventilation opening

And closed

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
test fit in a car - basic shape is done, now I need to make them symmetryc and smooth them out

This is where Im at at the moment,... Will post new pics as I progress

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Can’t wait for further photos and your thoughts when finished.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: LBaudio

·
Registered
170 Posts
You can tell from the way you put together multiple pieces of fiberglass that’s some top notch work. I was trying to do my first sail panels today and ran into an issue getting the shape to go “out”. Clearly you’ve done this, right behind the mids for example, and you show pics of using tin foil. Are you just forming the foil into shape and glassing on top of it? Fold the foil over 2,4,10 times, until it’s rigid enough?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can tell from the way you put together multiple pieces of fiberglass that’s some top notch work. I was trying to do my first sail panels today and ran into an issue getting the shape to go “out”. Clearly you’ve done this, right behind the mids for example, and you show pics of using tin foil. Are you just forming the foil into shape and glassing on top of it? Fold the foil over 2,4,10 times, until it’s rigid enough?
@farfromovin - I use Aluminium self adhesive foil/tape from TESA. As you can seeI firs make shape out of this ALU tape...usually 2-3 layers are sufficient strong and can be used as a kind of base to lay fiberglass or Filler with strands on top of it and it will not deform,...in the case it does, you can fix it from behind. Before I sart to put any material on ALU surface I apply Formula 5 demoulding way, so after Im done I can easily remove foil away.

In some other cases I also use 1.5-2 mm cardboard to create template, then I tape it off with ALU foil, place template in desired spot and apply fiberglass or Filler with strands.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As promised, here are the pics of doorpanel build... those doors were fabricated for previous car, but since they fit to newer car I will reuse them since they perform very good. The panels were made for two pairs of JBL C660 GTI midbass drivers. Approx volume is 20 litre. They were made in a manner that I can retune them or convert them to sealed with ease......onto the pics:

first I started with template for speaker baffle

Started to make duplicates

test fit

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
started to work on "dented" part of the baffle:
cardboard template taped off with ALU tape

1 - 20 of 44 Posts