DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"All American" Setup - Fi SSD vs BL in 1.1 Ported Box/ External Subsonic Filter Advic

As the title indicates, I'm upgrading the sub stage in my truck, an 08 Sierra EC. The space under the rear seats is awful in these, so I decided to try something else. I built a box that is behind the console, w/ an external 4 in port that fits under the seats (barely). It will be sub up w/ the port at the passenger door. There is 1.1 cubes gross before sub.

The power is a MMATS d1500.1 I just grabbed (for a steal I think) that is about 1150 watts. I want an American made sub, and like the Fi SSD and BL. The specs listed in two spots on their site have me confused though on what's better in my box:

.............Tech Page..........Sub Page
SSD'''''''''''''' .9-1.5 '''''''''''''''''''''''''.6-1.2
BL ''''''''''''''''''.5-1.2 ''''''''''''''''''''''''''.7-1.5

I mostly listen to rock, but my goal is some serious output more than anything when I want it on rap, etc. I think either would sound good enough for my ears, unless one is a total one note wonder which I've never read about.

Second question is since i just bought this MMATS I now need some type of subsonic filter, and would like remote gain too. Any advice on a processor for reasonable money that does this? So far I've found the PPI INT.5B which has both. Something similar to the Audio Control epicenter interests me, but not the 35 hz subsonic! I will be tuning to 32 or 33.

Pics of rough box:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: "All American" Setup - Fi SSD vs BL in 1.1 Ported Box/ External Subsonic Filter A

What about the Q?
Thought about it, but not really what I'm looking for. Would take more power than I have to get as much output, so for the same cost I'll take the BL as it does not lack SQ from what I can tell. I'd rather spend less on the SSD but want what is ideal for the box from the 2.

Anyone know anything about the MTX RE-Q's?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: "All American" Setup - Fi SSD vs BL in 1.1 Ported Box/ External Subsonic Filter A

10" or 12"?
Doh, sorry forgot to mention that. 10" (both limited by box size and dimensions, had to widen the box at top just to fit a 10).

·
Registered
70 Posts

I'd go with the ssd because of price, your power, and the fact that it is a smaller sub so it will leave the box with more volume.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I'd go with the ssd because of price, your power, and the fact that it is a smaller sub so it will leave the box with more volume.
That is all logical, and what I'm thinking.

However, due to the box dimensions they suggest that I gave above, it isn't clear that it would perform better in .98 than a BL would in .94. Also, the BL appears more efficient so I'd expect more output on the same 1200 watts?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

The SSD is an excellent bargain, gets over looked often. ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts

That is all logical, and what I'm thinking.

However, due to the box dimensions they suggest that I gave above, it isn't clear that it would perform better in .98 than a BL would in .94. Also, the BL appears more efficient so I'd expect more output on the same 1200 watts?
hmm.. true!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

The SSD is an excellent bargain, gets over looked often. ;)
That is what I've read!

hmm.. true!
Welcome to my conundrum.

So if nobody has experience w/ either in a box this size, I guess modeling it in wini-SD is the only option? I know nothing about that program, I'm assuming it's not freeware?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

That is what I've read!

Welcome to my conundrum.

So if nobody has experience w/ either in a box this size, I guess modeling it in wini-SD is the only option? I know nothing about that program, I'm assuming it's not freeware?

I think it's free...
LinearTeam

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I think it's free...
LinearTeam
Yep, I found and downloaded it yesterday. I don't think I'm getting it to work quite right, as I don't have all of the TS parameters from Fi. Also, my MS version is incorrect to see the help which makes it tougher haha.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

For my 1.1 box and 1200 watts, Fi recommended the SSD so I'm going w/ that. Being innately thrifty that's good news to me haha.

So the setup will be stock HU, a MTX RE-Q5 sending the lows to a MMATS 1500.1d (w/ universal rca gain) and highs to a old school (US made) MTX 2150. The one SSD 10 tuned to 33 in the box above and I just picked up some Vibe 6.5 components for $80 for the fronts, I'll be unplugging the rears. Anyone see any issues w/ this? Just looking for decently loud output and better quality than the stock Bose.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts