DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve seen a billion threads on class A/B amps, but a class D sub amp? Clean power, damping factor, THD, dynamic power, zenon Vs Zeff does this matter much on a bass note?

·
Banned
338 Posts
I’ve seen a billion threads on class A/B amps, but a class D sub amp? Clean power, damping factor, THD, dynamic power, zenon Vs Zeff does this matter much on a bass note?
You need to factor in efficiency. Cheaper amplifiers have lower efficiency. Zenon & s&i built amplifiers are more geared toward SPL where people have upgraded alternators and are usually generic designs. Buying from a quality company that designs their own boards in house and has real engineers is a good idea. Will you hear a difference? Maybe not a huge one but I would say better damping factor, efficiency, and longevity would be the 3 biggest benefits of going with say a JL, Rockford Fosgate, ARC, audiotech Fischer, etc. as opposed to a sundown, skar, VFL audio, American bass, soundquebd, etc...

Reactions: Beasteggs

·
Registered
6 Posts
In my experience damping factor seems to make a pretty big difference. I had one Sundown SAE-2000D monoblock running 2 JBL W12 GTI MK2 subwoofers for a combined 1.5 ohm load. I sold the Sundown amp and bought 2 Alpine X-A90m monoblocks, one to power each sub at 3 ohms (my box has 2 separate chambers). The Alpine amps have a damping factor of >1500 @ 4 ohms and the Sundown was only 150. I didn't change anything else except for the amp and it sounded like I purchased new subwoofers to go with the Alpine amps. I was kind of shocked actually, but the subs hit much, much harder with the Alpines and also hit harder in all bass ranges. I remember some songs on the Sundown sounded completely dead and they sounded completely different after I upgraded. Lesson learned for me is that the specs matter (assuming the specs are being properly reported and not fudged)

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Reactions: Mauian

·
Banned
338 Posts
LOL. I was thinking of that article when reading this thread. I think it could be a combination things but mostly the cheaper amps just being slapped together with no thought of what component is being used or how it’s going to work with other components in the circuit. Could be power supply, S/N , THD, crappy pre amp stages. Damping factor if it’s below a certain point... I have a hard time believing the sundown is 150 considering almost all s&i built amplifiers claim 150 damping exactly.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I ran some subjective testing with different amplifiers of my own (cheap vs expensive) and also wired in series vs parallel and although there were very slight tiny audible differences I think they were mostly related to gain settings/loudness and distortion or clipping differences maybe. I see damping factor brought up on DIYMA from time to time still but not as often as it used to be and when the commentator can’t explain why it is so they sometimes say it must be caused by the damping factor. The damping factor debate is one of those things that just sticks and won’t go away, lol.

Reactions: Beasteggs

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
All amplifiers sound the same if they're engineered properly and they're operating within their limits.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts