DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve seen a billion threads on class A/B amps, but a class D sub amp? Clean power, damping factor, THD, dynamic power, zenon Vs Zeff does this matter much on a bass note?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I’ve seen a billion threads on class A/B amps, but a class D sub amp? Clean power, damping factor, THD, dynamic power, zenon Vs Zeff does this matter much on a bass note?
You need to factor in efficiency. Cheaper amplifiers have lower efficiency. Zenon & s&i built amplifiers are more geared toward SPL where people have upgraded alternators and are usually generic designs. Buying from a quality company that designs their own boards in house and has real engineers is a good idea. Will you hear a difference? Maybe not a huge one but I would say better damping factor, efficiency, and longevity would be the 3 biggest benefits of going with say a JL, Rockford Fosgate, ARC, audiotech Fischer, etc. as opposed to a sundown, skar, VFL audio, American bass, soundquebd, etc...

·
Registered
6 Posts
In my experience damping factor seems to make a pretty big difference. I had one Sundown SAE-2000D monoblock running 2 JBL W12 GTI MK2 subwoofers for a combined 1.5 ohm load. I sold the Sundown amp and bought 2 Alpine X-A90m monoblocks, one to power each sub at 3 ohms (my box has 2 separate chambers). The Alpine amps have a damping factor of >1500 @ 4 ohms and the Sundown was only 150. I didn't change anything else except for the amp and it sounded like I purchased new subwoofers to go with the Alpine amps. I was kind of shocked actually, but the subs hit much, much harder with the Alpines and also hit harder in all bass ranges. I remember some songs on the Sundown sounded completely dead and they sounded completely different after I upgraded. Lesson learned for me is that the specs matter (assuming the specs are being properly reported and not fudged)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts