DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

All Mono Setup?

795 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  rubley 
#1 ·
In the home audio world, there are people who prefer to run an all mono amp setup to maximize channel separation/headroom. Has anyone done it in a car?

#3 ·
Oh, I didn't really have any plans, just thinking out loud. I'm just getting back into car stereos after being out of it for more than 15 years. I feel like things haven't changed much, heck, Soundstream is still making the Reference series amps :)

I'm using the Alpine Imprint processor in my car right now. I bought a couple of Rockford Fosgate PBR300 4 channel amps (because of the small size) and I'm not really impressed with them. I have a couple Hifonics amps, but I wasn't using them because I was trying to not use a lot of space (hatchback car), I guess I'll swap them in and see if it sounds better.

#4 ·
The Alpine Imprint is notorious for being difficult to work with in a car. A lot of people are left unsatisfied - but you should check out the 'Imprint Tuning Tips' thread somewhere on these forums - a lot of good info there for getting the most out of that processor. Short story is - the algorhythms used get thrown off by sub frequencies (20-50). It seems everyone suggests shutting off your sub or turning the gain WAAY down and letting it tune only your midbass-treble range. Then manually set crossovers for the sub/midbass blend. Otherwise it tends to mute the bass/midbass frequencies quite a bit.

Posting from work, so need this disclaimer:
"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

#5 ·
Yeah, I've run through the setup several times, and I've had experience with Audyssey in the home theater realm. It tries to create a fairly flat frequency response, and that doesn't always sound very good to people - everyone tends to prefer a little extra bass. I just installed it last weekend, so I still have a lot of tweaking to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.