DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Have you seen the 5.7 Hemi? With the 8 speed it seems to be pretty much what you’re looking for

For me, both the Trackhawk and SRT are complete overkill and not at all practical for everyday use in terms of fuel economy vs power/performance/price. The regular GC is just so-so in terms of performance. It would be great if they do something in between with this generation. Something with 400 HP, 22+mpg, decent brakes and the looks. The interior is certainly a step up.

·
Registered
2020 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk - 2020 Chevy Silverado Trail Boss
40 Posts
I also work for FCA In a grand Cherokee assembly plant. The “L” was suppose to be the actual “2021” new platform thus eliminating production of the wk2 completely but setbacks in design and covid pushed the release. We saw the concepts and it’s exactly why I bought a 2020. Not many of the employees I work with like the new platform Including myself. I’ve had several through the years and this may be the last one I ever buy unless the platform changes dramatically. The body of the grand wagoner is even worse. Keep in mind this is only my opinion but when the employees stop buying even with the discount....speaks pretty loudly.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I also work for FCA In a grand Cherokee assembly plant. The “L” was suppose to be the actual “2021” new platform thus eliminating production of the wk2 completely but setbacks in design and covid pushed the release. We saw the concepts and it’s exactly why I bought a 2020. Not many of the employees I work with like the new platform Including myself. I’ve had several through the years and this may be the last one I ever buy unless the platform changes dramatically. The body of the grand wagoner is even worse. Keep in mind this is only my opinion but when the employees stop buying even with the discount....speaks pretty loudly.
During the unveil they mentioned a 2 row Grand Cherokee would be coming later this year. I hope that one will look better, I would expect it to be a shorter version of the L, and hopefully they can incorporate some of the sportiness of the current gen otherwise I think they'll loose customers.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone remembers this thread from a few months back:

Excited for this "Return"!? | DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum

The sound system was developed and is built by Alpine Electronics with "guidance" from McIntosh. Or in other words, McIntosh is licensing the rights to use their name to up the image of this sound system. Supposedly McIntosh had some saying in the tuning of the system.

With that said, the Overland will probably be my next vehicle once I get done playing with my Porsche. I'll give it a few years of production to get the major kinks worked out. My 2012 Overland was a disaster. I'm thinking I won't pay the upcharge for this sound system. I'll most likely do something on my own :).

Ge0

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
During the unveil they mentioned a 2 row Grand Cherokee would be coming later this year. I hope that one will look better, I would expect it to be a shorter version of the L, and hopefully they can incorporate some of the sportiness of the current gen otherwise I think they'll loose customers.
The Grand Wagoneer is a dressed up Durango. The Wagoneer will be the 2 row and will look more similar to todays Grand Cherokee.

Ge0

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
For me, both the Trackhawk and SRT are complete overkill and not at all practical for everyday use in terms of fuel economy vs power/performance/price. The regular GC is just so-so in terms of performance. It would be great if they do something in between with this generation. Something with 400 HP, 22+mpg, decent brakes and the looks. The interior is certainly a step up.
I mean, the regular hemi has decent power, and gets mid 20s. The srt8 gets like.. 20ish mpg....

I think they've got a decent lineup with the wk2. The only thing I'd say need improved on it is the weight... If they could have lightened it up with composites and aluminum, that'd have been better.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I mean, the regular hemi has decent power, and gets mid 20s. The srt8 gets like.. 20ish mpg....

I think they've got a decent lineup with the wk2. The only thing I'd say need improved on it is the weight... If they could have lightened it up with composites and aluminum, that'd have been better.
The hemi only gets 16-17 in real life driving and the v6 only gets 19-20 If you’re lucky. I’ve had both. There is only about 80 horsepower difference between the two. I’ve driven all models and it’s a waste of time to buy a hemi if you aren’t going for an srt.. the v6 is a beast and can keep up with the hemi in most situations...passing..acceleration...hemi takes it on highway but that’s about it.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The hemi only gets 16-17 in real life driving and the v6 only gets 19-20 If you’re lucky. I’ve had both. There is only about 80 horsepower difference between the two. I’ve driven all models and it’s a waste of time to buy a hemi if you aren’t going for an srt.. the v6 is a beast and can keep up with the hemi in most situations...passing..acceleration...hemi takes it on highway but that’s about it.
I had a 12 overland hemi and got 21 highway consistently, and got like 25 or 26 if I tried hard enough.

I didn't have that experience with the v6. It got around, and felt quicker than expected, but side by side the hemi has way more power.

That said, I agree. The engine to get is the 392. If not that, then the diesel. No reason for the rest of the engines in the lineup IMO, other than cost.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had a 12 overland hemi and got 21 highway consistently, and got like 25 or 26 if I tried hard enough.

I didn't have that experience with the v6. It got around, and felt quicker than expected, but side by side the hemi has way more power.

That said, I agree. The engine to get is the 392. If not that, then the diesel. No reason for the rest of the engines in the lineup IMO, other than cost.
They started producing the wk2 in 2011 and since then this is my fourth one. Two have been hemis and I never got anything close to that mpg unless I was on the interstate on cruise. Maybe there was something different about the 2012 I don’t know...didn’t get a new one that year. It’s probably the way I drive....I def don’t baby them. i have to admit the 2014 v6 def was not as quick as the new one I have. My 2017 was an srt and I hated the mpg and I drove it entirely too fast most of the time. When I bought the 2020 trail hawk it just didn’t make sense to spend $3k+ for the hemi when i can pass just about whoever I want in just about any situation with pedal left over in the v6. Don’t take my word for it...go test drive a new v6 and give it hell. This hemi/v6 debate is a big thing on the Jeep forums.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Man... I hate that interior, lol. Every time I see it I'm like... That'd get ruined by dogs, or kids, or anything. Lots of weird angles and stuff. I get what they were trying to do, because that's what a lot of luxury car interiors look like now... But man, that doesn't work for me. I also absolutely loathe quilted leather. I dunno where people got the idea that was better, more upscale, any of that, but I hate the look, and it's a major turn off to me.

Sad because I had a wk2 grand Cherokee and liked it. A wk2 srt8 was really high up my list of potential next cars.
I couldn’t agree more. Quilted leather/ pleather is not very appealing.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
They started producing the wk2 in 2011 and since then this is my fourth one. Two have been hemis and I never got anything close to that mpg unless I was on the interstate on cruise. Maybe there was something different about the 2012 I don’t know...didn’t get a new one that year. It’s probably the way I drive....I def don’t baby them. i have to admit the 2014 v6 def was not as quick as the new one I have. My 2017 was an srt and I hated the mpg and I drove it entirely too fast most of the time. When I bought the 2020 trail hawk it just didn’t make sense to spend $3k+ for the hemi when i can pass just about whoever I want in just about any situation with pedal left over in the v6. Don’t take my word for it...go test drive a new v6 and give it hell. This hemi/v6 debate is a big thing on the Jeep forums.
I will say, I never hand calculated my mpg. My buddy has a 17 v8 overland, and he gets like 26 to 27 highway, per the computer. Hand calculations are usually 10% lower than the computer. So when my jeep was saying that, it was probably 10% high as well. I got 21 claimed mpg at 75mph, up and down hills (but not mountains, it dropped off a lot going up steeper slopes as you'd expect). The 25 to 26 mpg was going like 65mph... Really too slow for most situations, lol.

I think the performance thing boils down to preference. I ended up buying a low mile Trailblazer SS, and with 400hp and 4.10s it can make quick work of most vehicles on the road, but won't outrun an srt jeep or a new M or AMG63... Is it fast enough? Eh, I wouldn't mind a little bit more. I think 450 to 470hp would be ideal for its size and weight, so longtubes, efans, and a tune will get me pretty much where I want to be. I cant even imagine going from an srt jeep to a v6btrailhawk, with the bigger tires and whatnot... At least you've got more aggressive gearing, but that's just a dramatic change, haha.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I will say, I never hand calculated my mpg. My buddy has a 17 v8 overland, and he gets like 26 to 27 highway, per the computer. Hand calculations are usually 10% lower than the computer. So when my jeep was saying that, it was probably 10% high as well. I got 21 claimed mpg at 75mph, up and down hills (but not mountains, it dropped off a lot going up steeper slopes as you'd expect). The 25 to 26 mpg was going like 65mph... Really too slow for most situations, lol.

I think the performance thing boils down to preference. I ended up buying a low mile Trailblazer SS, and with 400hp and 4.10s it can make quick work of most vehicles on the road, but won't outrun an srt jeep or a new M or AMG63... Is it fast enough? Eh, I wouldn't mind a little bit more. I think 450 to 470hp would be ideal for its size and weight, so longtubes, efans, and a tune will get me pretty much where I want to be. I cant even imagine going from an srt jeep to a v6btrailhawk, with the bigger tires and whatnot... At least you've got more aggressive gearing, but that's just a dramatic change, haha.
I bought a small farm in the middle of nowhere so I spend a lot more time in the mud than I do on the street now. Lol. Besides...had the srt and the hellcat previously..I’m good. I have a lot more fun off-road then waiting in traffic.

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
959 Posts
I'm totally gonna a just buy the hu and get it molded into my lexus hybrid. It will be alot of money but look so damn cool in my car the blue needles 😋😁 unless they come out with aftermarket again.

Reactions: K-pop sucks

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
The ecodiesel is pretty sweet. My GC had little issues getting anywhere or up to speed and keeping about 30mpg. After I got it tuned for efficiency I was around 35mpg on the highway.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I'm totally gonna a just buy the hu and get it molded into my lexus hybrid. It will be alot of money but look so damn cool in my car the blue needles 😋😁 unless they come out with aftermarket again.
It's just an LCD display. Buy an Android unit and make an animation with your own blue needles :).

Reactions: FAUEE

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
959 Posts
It's just an LCD display. Buy an Android unit and make an animation with your own blue needles :).
I suppose I could and get a 3d printed McIntosh logo stamped on it lmao 🤣

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Have you seen the 5.7 Hemi? With the 8 speed it seems to be pretty much what you’re looking for
Its only available in the Trailhawk, which is mainly for off-road. No 20" wheels or performance brakes.

I'm just thinking that Jeep needs something that competes directly with the Explorer ST on performance and price point. Ford has a good engine with the 3.5 ecoboost and I'm not sure why Chrysler doesn't have a twin turbo v6 yet, other than trying to stick with tried and true for now. I had hoped they would've introduce an all new more efficient engine with this gen.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts