DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Actually for a long time Ford had issues with that 3.5 Ecoboost and their turbos leaking oil. Seen a lot of posts on the Explorer Forum I belong to. To the point many got so upset with it constantly being fixed under warranty the sold it and got something else. While it has power and what not they have had some issues with it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had a '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee and a '00 Jeep Wrangler both with the 4.0, Wrangler had a 5 speed. While I liked the Grand Cherokee that transmission were known to have issues as well.

Still love Jeeps though, I wish I could afford a 4 door Jeep Wrangler or a Solid Black Grand Cherokee with the Hemi & with those Black Chrome wheels on it. So freaking awesome looking those Grand Cherokees are in that color or the Deep Maroon they use as well.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I'm just thinking that Jeep needs something that competes directly with the Explorer ST on performance and price point. Ford has a good engine with the 3.5 ecoboost and I'm not sure why Chrysler doesn't have a twin turbo v6 yet, other than trying to stick with tried and true for now. I had hoped they would've introduce an all new more efficient engine with this gen.
I test drove the Explorer ST, and nearly bought one (the dealer I was working with sold it 2 days before I could take delivery). The explorer has a 3.0t now, it's an OK engine, but does make a ton of power after being tuned. But the new explorer is SO CHEAPLY built. They hit a price point by cutting all the costs. Sliding brakes, plastic oil pan, cheap materials in the suspension and chassis, poor cooling... Ford definitely didn't build as robust of a product as Jeep did, which is why a loaded explorer ST is only 4600 pounds., despite not being made of aluminum.

That said, the direct Co. Petitor is the Durango R/T. They are super evenly matched, the the ST being a bit better on gas with a few nicer features, and dodge sounding way better feeling more robust, and towing way more with way more space. The jeep altitude, high altitude, and some sporty optioned overland compete too, but obviously differently sized

I appreciate them offering the hemi still. It's reliable, powerful, and proven. Ford missed a huge opportunity by not offering the coyote in the Explorer, but it wouldn't fit in from the price point perspective.

·
Registered
2020 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk - 2020 Chevy Silverado Trail Boss
40 Posts
interesting comparison from an everyday user on the 3.6 vs 5.7. Would love to have the time to hit some of the trails this guy explores.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Problem though with a lot of the Durango though was a lot of them were known to rust badly in just about every area regardless of where you lived. Same with the 2002-2010 Explorers. A Explorer from that time range are known to rust in the rear quarter panel i.e right above the wheels. Also the rear door and their seals are known to leak and cause rust in those areas as well. I know before I bought mine I had the dealer fix the entire right rear quarter panel and both rear door areas above the running boards because the seals were leaking. They brought it out and said yep all fixed and it was but I asked them if they replaced the seals and they said not that wasn't part of the deal. I showed them proof that it was they were not happy as those seals are expensive and then they tried to make me pay half which was not part of the deal either. Now 3.5 years later the seals are leaking again so I have to replace them again and fix some of the area on the bottom above the running boards. Sucks but certain years had issues.

The 1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokees had issues as well in the rear quarter panel rusting. Had to have mine fixed twice one on each side at different times. I also had the Overland 1" Springs installed with another 1" rubber lift pieces that worked great with those springs and then the larger tires and aftermarket wheels. Another thing you can do with those and the 4.0 is take out the junk converter as they go from 2.5" in front of the converter to 2.25" which cuts down airflow with the oem converter, put in a high flow aftermarket 400 CFM converter vs the 80 CFM OEM and ran 2.5" pipe to a 2.5" same size stock muffler and 2.5" pipe out. Made a world of a difference in power and mpg.

I would still take though a new Jeep over the Explorer. They really made these new ones really cheap and they are having issues because of it. First it was the 3.5 Turbos leaking oil. Now it is suspension and cooling issues. Friend of mine has been a Service Manager of a Ford Dealership now for 20 years he has told me flat out to stay away from the new Explorers as they constantly have them in for warranty work.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Jeep Nut from WAY back:
1963 J20 Pickup 350 Buick V8
1967 CJ5 258 I6
1976 CJ7 401 V8
1984 Grand Wagoneer 360 V8
1992 Cherokee 242 I6
1995 Grand Cherokee 318 V8
1998 Grand Cherokee 360 V8
2008 Grand Cherokee 287 V8
2012 Grand Cherokee 345 V8

The Hemi in my current WK2 has been the most fuel efficient of ANY of the Jeeps I've owned. (Didn't buy it for mpg.) Has the best power to weight ratio of any of them. (Didn't buy it to drag race Fox bodies.) And is by far the most quiet, least NVH and elegant Jeep I've ever owned. It's based on the same platform and cross engineered for the Mercedes W166 series and properly sound deadened it nearly as quiet as my dad's old E Class (this is why I bought it.) My only real complaint is the panorama sunroof, it rattles, let's in too much heat and noise and is awful for reflections inside the cabin. For a vehicle my wife will get dressed up in for a night on the town that can still take me anywhere I want to go off road, I'll keep it for a long long time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Jeep Nut from WAY back:
1963 J20 Pickup 350 Buick V8
1967 CJ5 258 I6
1976 CJ7 401 V8
1984 Grand Wagoneer 360 V8
1992 Cherokee 242 I6
1995 Grand Cherokee 318 V8
1998 Grand Cherokee 360 V8
2008 Grand Cherokee 287 V8
2012 Grand Cherokee 345 V8

The Hemi in my current WK2 has been the most fuel efficient of ANY of the Jeeps I've owned. (Didn't buy it for mpg.) Has the best power to weight ratio of any of them. (Didn't buy it to drag race Fox bodies.) And is by far the most quiet, least NVH and elegant Jeep I've ever owned. It's based on the same platform and cross engineered for the Mercedes W166 series and properly sound deadened it nearly as quiet as my dad's old E Class (this is why I bought it.) My only real complaint is the panorama sunroof, it rattles, let's in too much heat and noise and is awful for reflections inside the cabin. For a vehicle my wife will get dressed up in for a night on the town that can still take me anywhere I want to go off road, I'll keep it for a long long time.

Curious. How many repairs has your 2012 Overland required? Under warranty and after?

I absolutely loved my Black 2012 Overland with saddle color leather interior. However, the vehicle required roughly $20K in repairs in the 6 years I owned it. Thank God I bought the 100K extended warranty. I would love to buy another but don't want to get back into another money pit.

1.) replaced air suspension
2.) replaced factory radio due to failed touch screen
3.) replaced 2 alternators. I had no aftermarket stereo installed in this vehicle, everything was stock.
4.) replaced PCM (power control module)
5.) replaced 2 year old battery
6.) replaced front rack and pinion
7.) replaced catalytic converters
8.) replaced 2 stage oil pump.
9.) replaced 3 cracked 20" wheels
10.) replaced the top of my dash board due to the leather separating from the plastic (adhesive failure)
11.) replaced cam shaft sensors

Ge0

·
Registered
615 Posts
Mcintosh joke! I would only touch a OEM system that was actually made in house and not contracted out for badge engineering. Such as Bowers & WIlkins, Revel, Dynaudio.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Mcintosh joke! I would only touch a OEM system that was actually made in house and not contracted out for badge engineering. Such as Bowers & WIlkins, Revel, or Dynaudio.
Revel is a Harman International brand name :). But, I trust Harman more than other OEM suppliers. I know a few folks who work there. They care about quality of their products.

Reactions: K-pop sucks

·
Registered
226 Posts
Curious. How many repairs has your 2012 Overland required? Under warranty and after?

I absolutely loved my Black 2012 Overland with saddle color leather interior. However, the vehicle required roughly $20K in repairs in the 6 years I owned it. Thank God I bought the 100K extended warranty. I would love to buy another but don't want to get back into another money pit.

1.) replaced air suspension
2.) replaced factory radio due to failed touch screen
3.) replaced 2 alternators. I had no aftermarket stereo installed in this vehicle, everything was stock.
4.) replaced PCM (power control module)
5.) replaced 2 year old battery
6.) replaced front rack and pinion
7.) replaced catalytic converters
8.) replaced 2 stage oil pump.
9.) replaced 3 cracked 20" wheels
10.) replaced the top of my dash board due to the leather separating from the plastic (adhesive failure)
11.) replaced cam shaft sensors

Ge0
Mine is "kinda" rare as it's in the one model year only color of Artic Chill Blue with the 'Tan' but to me it's almost khaki interior. I'm a big diy guy from Audio to rebuilding motors and home improvement, etc. So I was waiting for the warranty to expire so I could start making mods.
Working 12 on and 12 off most of my driving is in the dark so I've added some extra lighting (Black Oak LED spot beam light bar on front bumper) that's relayed off the backside of the TIPM - just to give you an idea of the level of comfort I have working on a vehicle.
Air suspension still working - had an o-ring failure at the front right elbow which i replaced and it's been fine since then... HOWEVER the OME Air Suspension Replacement Kit with 2.5" Lift and adjustable UCAs is waiting in my shop to be installed if I ever get around to it...
Stock Overland 20s have 275/55r20 Michelin LTX M/S on them and a second set of Trailhawk 18s with 265/70r18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers for off roading and camping. Using a Wilco Swing Away Spare Tire Carrier that goes in the trailer hitch for trips. No problem with either set of wheels.
Had the fuel pump relay recall that bypasses the TIPM done -but- have had to replace both the fuel pump and the auxiliary fuel sending unit post warranty. Bought aftermarket pump and installed myself which was a pita since you have to drop the driveshaft and exhaust in order to drop the fuel tank.
Replaced a bunch of sensors under warranty and then post warranty installed a billet catch can in the PCV return and haven't had any more sensor failures. Better gas mileage, improved idle and off idle response. No more valve noise and increased oil change interval.
Still on the stock alternator and original agm battery under the passenger seat. Have had auxiliary XS Power agm battery in spare tire well with ~2kwatt in amplifiers for about the last 18 months.
Exhaust was replaced with Stainless Works as soon as warranty expired. No more as we don't have inspection or emissions.
The dash board debacle was ludicrous. Had it replaced during the recall and then had Air Blue 80 Tint put on the windshield, bought a custom fit windshield cover, using Leather Milk conditioners and it's been perfect ever sense. They sent a new recall offering to replace it again but there's no way I'd let them touch it again...
Replaced the HID headlights with SRT units after warranty cause one of the oem units fogged up badly. Upgraded the ballasts to Bosch units from the Euro Spec Jeep which run much cooler. The SRT projectors are so much better that I'd have done them just for the improved pattern if I'd known before hand.
Replaced the factory fog lights with Baja Designs LEDs and got rid of the dropouts with AlfaOBD (also leveled the suspension and made a host of other changes to the PCM.)
Had the water pump changed once under warranty and once again on my own. The one I paid for has upgraded bearings and extra gussets to the nose so hopefully it lasts a little longer but if not it's only a 45 minute job to change.
Bought mine in 14 when I saw what they'd done with the new model (e-shifter, big screen radio, integrated hvac, etc.) and new I wanted the 12 with a real Shift lever and standard double din HU.
I've heard the horror stories from the Jeep forums where others had your same experience and I think part of that is owners from the rust belt. Mine has only been in South Carolina and Florida where cars last 5x as long.
Knock on wood mine has not been any problem (other than the fuel pump and level sender which caused me to run out of gas twice) and I pray that it will continue to be that way for at least another 4 years cause I've got 2 in college right now!
Total outlay post warranty has been about 4 Grand but $1200 for exhaust, $1600 for OME Suspension, $650 for Headlights constitute most of that and that's half of what I spent on the 95 ZJ that I had the bright idea and lifted 6" trying to make it keep up with Rock Crawler TJs and simply made it worthless as a daily driver.

·
Registered
493 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
It’ll certainly be interesting to watch or hear as the case may be. I’m not ready to be excited about the idea until we have a proper in depth review of one of the systems.

As a McIntosh user in my daily, I have interest in it’s success, yet am skeptical of OEM performance. View attachment 288945
I expect there will be a considerable difference between your MAC gear and what you'll find in the Jeep.

Reactions: Ssopus

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would be interested in hearing it but im sure it won’t even come close to what sqcomp has going on. Speaking of i have a mc440 I’m debating getting rid of as it doesn’t fit the needs or space of my current vehicle. Any idea what a good asking would be? Glass is perfect but missing one of the aluminum end caps.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts