DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
This thread has been hugely informative for me. Just want to say thanks for all the great input.

Reactions: jtrosky

·
Registered
2017 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab sport
1,351 Posts
Left tweeter
88A4C4A5-0A60-4011-ACE5-611D731A29C4.jpeg
left mid range
2954B32A-515B-43D1-84BF-DC2AF7D6149D.jpeg
left mid bass
7601D3FD-A786-4327-8167-B072E32B0FB5.jpeg

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
ok thanks for the info I’ll try and get more shots of it how recommended when I get back home a little later

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Yeah the glare is terrible I’ll get better pics

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Thanks to everybody in the know pitching in on this thread btw. Great stuff and I believe my biggest issue right now has to do with phase being my tweeter pods especially on the driver side a pillar blocks the mid in dash corner oem location.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Thanks to everybody in the know pitching in on this thread btw. Great stuff and I believe my biggest issue right now has to do with phase being my tweeter pods especially on the driver side a pillar blocks the mid in dash corner oem location.
Well that sucks. Yank the dash out and build a better one!

Reactions: bnae38

·
Registered
350 Posts
Just my 2 cents, Take a close look at the most common boost you have in the above pic. It looks like you have about 6 EQ bands boosted up 3db's. If you increased the Gain on that channel up by 3db's, move the 6 bands back to 0db, that would free up those 6 bands on that channel for other adjustments....A very general rule, Cuts are better than Boosts.
And, you would need to drop the other EQ bands on that channel by 3db's. Probably would be easier to 'reset' that entire channel, increase the Gain by 3db's and then re-EQ the whole channel.

If you are EQ boosting the Right Mid Range like the Left Mid Range, you may want to increase the Gain on your Amp, instead of boosting the channel in the DSP.

Edit: I just looked at your pic of the Right Mid Range... and you are doing a bunch of EQ boosting there too.... so, best bet would be to increase the Amp gain on Mids, and re-EQ.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Getting back to allpass filters - how are allpass filters used to create "makeshift" two-seat tunes? I keep reading how OEM setups use allpass filters to make things sound good for both the driver and the passenger - and was wondering if that would be an easy way to create a very basic "two-seat" tune without a middle-channel speaker and center-channel processing....

Just kind of curious how that works.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
If you put the all-pass on one side and it makes things worse, that was the good side. Trial and error.
Although, if you can measure and view phase, it is quite apparent which is bad and which is good. In REW a good phase response (viewed unwrapped) will slope down gently from left to right, a bad phase response will deviate pretty significantly from that. All-pass filters will steepen the phase slope, so if the bad response slopes upward or less downward (than the good response), it gets the all-pass, if the bad response slopes more downward then the good response gets the all-pass to match it.
The opposite to this… if you put an all pass filter on and it doesn’t improve summation that is the bad side, you add an all pass filter to the response to match the good sides phase to the bad side… this then improves summation

if you have a good phase response it will be smooth, measure a home audio loudspeaker with a close up mic approx a foot from the centre of the mid/tweeters centre is ideal and then look, what you end up with is a smile where bass and treble freqs leave the cone after the midrange… however a smooth phase curve is ideal

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
The opposite to this… if you put an all pass filter on and it doesn’t improve summation that is the bad side, you add an all pass filter to the response to match the good sides phase to the bad side… this then improves summation

if you have a good phase response it will be smooth, measure a home audio loudspeaker with a close up mic approx a foot from the centre of the mid/tweeters centre is ideal and then look, what you end up with is a smile where bass and treble freqs leave the cone after the midrange… however a smooth phase curve is ideal
I think I should have called the "bad side" the "wrong side", good catch.

Reactions: dumdum

·
Registered
2 Posts
An all-pass filter is a filter that has a magnitude response of unity, but which provides a phase shift. You can use all-pass filters to tailor group delay responses in your signal-processing chain. You may find that you will need to cascade your filter with an all-pass filter to meet the group delay specification. A first-order all-pass circuit is shown in Figure 14.36(a). Note that this all-pass provides a DC gain of −1. If you want, you can cascade an inverting op-amp stage with the all-pass to take care of this phase inversion.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
An all-pass filter is a filter that has a magnitude response of unity, but which provides a phase shift. You can use all-pass filters to tailor group delay responses in your signal-processing chain. You may find that you will need to cascade your filter with an all-pass filter to meet the group delay specification. A first-order all-pass circuit is shown in Figure 14.36(a). Note that this all-pass provides a DC gain of −1. If you want, you can cascade an inverting op-amp stage with the all-pass to take care of this phase inversion.
Nice cut and paste… not really relevant to this conversation

I hope mr Thompson gets a cut…

41 - 54 of 54 Posts