DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the alpha damp is 30% off today, I am considering choosing it. Does anyone have any opinions of what would be better for deadening? I want to do my doors and part of my roof. I am trying to compare the 20 sq feet of alpha damp to the 36 sq feet of damp pro to 40 sq feet of the regular damplifier. If anyone needs more info just let me know. Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks, David

·
Registered
26 Posts
I do believe this is one of my first posts. And I have to say, Damplifier Pro is a WONDERFUL product. I picked some up from the owner at the Good-Guys show in Scottsdale a few weeks back. Compared to many other products, it just excels in every way. It's denser/heavier, easier to work with, sticks better, and dampens better than anything. This includes most of the major brands i've used. Dynamat, FatMat, B-Quiet, Raammat, etc. It just works well. I will never use another product again.

Having said all that, I've never used the alphadamp, but since it's similar to Damplifier Pro, only thicker, I'd say it's worth it. I would use it to dampen floor boards, and use the Damplifier Pro for other areas. Floor boards seem to be the worst as far as resonance goes. I'd buy the 20sq/ft kit (or two depending on vehical) of Alpha Damp for the floors, and then another 36sq/ft kit of Damplifier Pro for the doors and such.

You really can't go wrong either way. I'm very happy with it, and the install was great. Best of all, it's silky smooth on top, no asphault mess, and no cuts from foil.

Enjoy, hope it helps!

Edit: And remember the 25% Rule, you don't need to cover every inch of your car!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I have a 2002 BMW 325i. I might just do that and throw some on the floors too. I was also planning on getting some luxury liner pro to cover the damps. Would I really need a whole 36 sq ft pack of damp pro if I am already using 20 sq ft of alpha damp?

Thanks, David

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Alpha Damp is great. I would not pass up this sale if you need cld tiles now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think 20sq ft might do two doors, but not any more. I got the 36sq/ft for my truck and put it in last weekend. All it covered was half of the floor (Quad Cab F150, the back half) and the whole back wall.

As for the Luxury Liner Pro, that's a great idea! But I'd recommend Cloased Cell Foam (The Overkill ) as it wil lkill vibrations and more importantly, absorb noise. Throw the Luxury Liner Pro ontop of that, and oyu have a great sound barrier.

I did all of this to my truck last weekend and the truck sounds like a cadillac now. The noise from the exhaust is non-exsistant, and road noise is gone. Wind noise is the only thing you hear, which can be killed with doing the same treatment to the A and B Pillars. Though, I've yet to hear wind noise in a BMW.

One last thing, if you add in CCF and Luxury Liner Pro, it will add an extra half inch to your body panels, thus making the interior panels harder to install. So, just keep that in mind.

If I were you, I'd just get some Alphdamp for the doors, and some CCF (Closed cell foam) aka Overkill and throw that ontop of the doors after sealing them off well. This should give you pretty good results with half the work of using the Luxury Liner.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone have any experience with BMWs? does 5 sq ft seem like enough for each door? From everything I've seen on here it seems low but when I measured the door it only came out to just over 4 sq ft.

- David

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with BMWs? does 5 sq ft seem like enough for each door? From everything I've seen on here it seems low but when I measured the door it only came out to just over 4 sq ft.

- David
Are you doubling your figure for both inner, and outer door skins?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is your reasoning for me needing more? Where would I need it for? The sheet metal on the door is just over 4 sq ft and I know that I don't need to double up with this stuff.

- David

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Meaning, is your figure just the surface area of the door? For best results, you'll want a layer on the outside skin, as well as a layer on the inside skin that the door card mounts two. That's why I ask if your figure is for one, or two layers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's just for one layer on the interior side of the door under the door card. Note that I am also putting luxury liner pro on too. The luxury liner pro has mlv and ccf in it.

- David

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
No, I wasn't aware that I needed to. How do I even get to the inner skin? All I see is the one panel of metal when I take the the door panel off.

- David
Not familiar with bmw's, so you'll have to forgive me there. But when you pull your interior panel, are there holes in the metal panel? You can gain access to the outside skin there, as well as with the speaker removed.
Some vehicles have large access holes, some small. They would be for maintenance to the window and latch assemblies. Through those, you can try and get what you can on the outside skin.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
It's just for one layer on the interior side of the door under the door card. Note that I am also putting luxury liner pro on too. The luxury liner pro has mlv and ccf in it.

- David
Yes, I use ss products in my truck, very nice. The outside skin will also have resonance from the speaker. In my truck, I applied damp pro, then luxury liner on the outside skin. I didn't have room to apply luxury liner between the inside skin and my card... Just to tight of fit. My card wouldn't stay attached. Lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not familiar with bmw's, so you'll have to forgive me there. But when you pull your interior panel, are there holes in the metal panel? You can gain access to the outside skin there, as well as with the speaker removed.
Some vehicles have large access holes, some small. They would be for maintenance to the window and latch assemblies. Through those, you can try and get what you can on the outside skin.
I'm not completely sure. I don't remember seeing anything like that but I obviously wasn't looking and it may very well be there. I'll remove the panel when I get some time and try to find the access holes and maybe reassess my needs.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I'm not completely sure. I don't remember seeing anything like that but I obviously wasn't looking and it may very well be there. I'll remove the panel when I get some time and try to find the access holes and maybe reassess my needs.
I'll give ya a run down of what I did with my doors. I know it's a different animal than your doors, but all are similar in application. I simply followed the many tutorials found on here...

Applied damp pro to my outside skin, what I could reach anyway. Amounted to aprox 75% coverage. I then applied luxury liner to that. Was a PITA to try getting it in there. Lol.
Once I was satisfied with the coverage in there, I made covers for the openings out of tin roof flashing. Sandwiched that between damp pro and screwed it to the inner skin. Applied damp pro to the remaining inner skin, and covered it with their 1/8 ccf(can't remember what it's called lol).
Then I covered the inside of my door card with damp pro and ccf.
That's the process I used on my doors, hope it help some.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Luxury Liner - Acoustic Noise Barrier and Insulation Barrier
Luxury Liner Pro has CCF bonded to MLV, so there's no need to apply CCF under it.
Yeah I was thinking oppositely. Woops! :) You got it figured out anyway.

As for your doors, you probably need more than the 4 sq/ft a door. But not much more. Again, for the Alphadamp, 25% coverage is all that's needed for it to do its job. The rest can be done with Luxury Liner Pro. With that, you will need to cover the entire door to get good results.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I might just do that and throw some on the floors too.
Unless your floors rattle, keep CLD away from them. It's rarely necessary. It's just wasted money and unnecessary weight. Luxury liner, on the other hand, is GREAT for getting rid of road noise. I highly recommend it for cars that aren't quiet from the factory. My G8 is very quiet from the factory, but my last car was a 99 Camaro Z28 with tons of road noise. It was actually quieter than the G8 is after I added 2 layers of LL to the floor (and none to the G8). Didn't fix the noise coming through the doors / window, but blocking the noise through the floor killed most of it overall, and I could have put LL in the door (between the inner door skin) and door panel if I wanted.

Only use CLD where you've got rattles, and in some cases, flex. Though CLD is not ideal for fixing flex, but Alpha Damp will probably do the best job of the available CLD options for it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts