DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I posted this video in the Reviews section, but wanted to share it here as well since not as many people browse the reviews. So if you're wondering how well AlphaDamp does at reducing trunk rattle and flex, check out my video and consider getting some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsQuiVW3w5k

Be sure to watch in 1080p and let me know what you think.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I think it looks like a blatant rip off of Don's CLD tiles. Probably some sort of IP infringement as well.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it looks like a blatant rip off of Don's CLD tiles. Probably some sort of IP infringement as well.
I had never heard of "Don" and his CLD tiles until you posted this, but after a few minutes of research, I found Don and his tiles and found that his aluminum is only 8 mils thick, whereas AlphaDamp is 10 mils, or 25% thicker. Also, Ant's tiles are 14.5 X 10.5 and Don's are only 10 X 6, meaning that you'd have to buy 2.5 tiles from Don for every 1 of Ant's tiles. So when you figure it that way, the retail price of both of these tiles, per sq. ft. is about the same. And for the money, you're getting a much better product with AlphaDamp. Especially since I have no idea the quality of the adhesive and butyl used in Don's tiles.

I'm not just saying this because I got these for free to review them, I'm speaking as a logical person in the market for some sound deadening. It's not like you can patent rubber and aluminum foil stuck together. Do sound deadening manufacturers borrow ideas from each other without giving credit, to make some money? Yeah, probably so. But since there's no patents involved, there nothing you can do about it. If I spin strands of cotton together and sew it into a shirt, I can't patent that. And if someone else made a shirt with slightly better material, I certainly wouldn't cry foul like you're doing. Competition equals better products and better pricing.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Don's tiles define "high quality". The butyl & aluminum are both of the highest quality. And if these Alpha damp tiles are indeed thicker aluminum, that would make them a HUGE pain to work with on contours. Don't tiles are already very stiff, an are interesting to work wth on contours.

Furthermore, the main point of the very stiff tiles is to not go for full coverage, you only need 25% coverage to reap the full benefit. So you could have use probably 2-3 tiles and gotten the same benefit (well, in your case you're just mass loading, but for a dampening perspective).

And you most certainly can patent things like this. Whether or not anyone does isn't something I have knowledge on. But if I had done all the work to develop a product and then had someone try to make the same stuff with slight differences (a tiny bit more aluminum, different size tiles), I'd be pretty pissed. And not in an "i;m upset with you kinda way". In a "you're messing with my money" kinda way.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Good video. Was that a cellphone recording in 1080? The Alphadamp seemed to work pretty good once you got it figured out. Did it make a difference in the SQ, or just help keep the rattlin' down?

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Good video. Was that a cellphone recording in 1080? The Alphadamp seemed to work pretty good once you got it figured out. Did it make a difference in the SQ, or just help keep the rattlin' down?
Very informative demo!
Well done.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. It was recorded with a Canon Elph 300 HS. I'm not sure if it improved responsiveness, or "tightness", I think it may have helped a little. I'm expecting that doing my doors will probably help with that. I'd also like to do something with the tiles to add some quality to my 6x9's in the rear deck, but I'm not sure how best to apply them to IB type rear deck mounted mids.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Ya, my rear deck is bumpy as well. I'm not sure how to approach it, but I've only looked at the bottom side so far. Maybe cut some long skinny strips instead of big sheets? You might go the other way and try using some Second Skin sludge and brushing it on.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Sure any time you can remove rattles your going to increase SQ....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts